Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Hot Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:58 PM
BCRider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One Hot Bike

Bought a new 2007 RK Classic. Great bike but the heat coming off the motor is really noticeable. If heard good things about RJ heat deflectors. They sound like they do a good job and I will be purchasing them ASAP. I guess another question, is there a way to make the bike run cooler. I've heard they run lean from the factory. Would a Power Commander or SERT help it run cooler by richening up the fuel mixture? Or would an oil cooler make a bigger difference? Pipes???

Old 08-28-2006, 09:11 PM
copout221
Cruiser
Default RE: One Hot Bike

Yes, the 07's run very lean and HOT. My bike was ridiculous at idle, almost unbearable. I have since modified the ECM with a SERT to richen up the bike a bit and activated the new EITMS (Engine Idle Temperature Management System) option which is included with the new SERT software (your dealer will also activate it free of charge). This feature kills the rear cylinder at idle to reduce heat and it works great. The only thing people need to be aware of is when the system shuts the rear cylinder down the idle really changes which may alarm alot of people who are not educated on it.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:22 PM
77Tulsa
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it shut down fuel and ignition?
ORIGINAL: copout221

Yes, the 07's run very lean and HOT. My bike was ridiculous at idle, almost unbearable. I have since modified the ECM with a SERT to richen up the bike a bit and activated the new EITMS (Engine Idle Temperature Management System) option which is included with the new SERT software (your dealer will also activate it free of charge). This feature kills the rear cylinder at idle to reduce heat and it works great. The only thing people need to be aware of is when the system shuts the rear cylinder down the idle really changes which may alarm alot of people who are not educated on it.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:18 PM
BCRider
Novice

Looked all over the Internet for a SERT. Who sells these for the 2007 touring bikes? Are they dealer only parts?

Old 08-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner. Harley's software, similar to Dynojet's Power Commander III. Acronym's abound!

Old 08-29-2006, 12:29 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty sad when you have a bike running so lean(read hot) that the only way to put up with it is shut down one of the cylinders. Look into a tuner to get it tuned correctly.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:01 AM
f7addict
Cruiser

that's scary true.
ORIGINAL: bay13

It's pretty sad when you have a bike running so lean(read hot) that the only way to put up with it is shut down one of the cylinders. Look into a tuner to get it tuned correctly.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:55 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can water cooling be far behind?

Old 08-29-2006, 01:04 PM
copout221
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: JBBOOKS

Can water cooling be far behind?

Just what we need...VRod engines in our touring bikes. They will sound like Honda's but we will all be more comfortable at stoplights !!!

Old 08-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Hound Dog 1
Advanced

This is all a result of EPA compliance. I know that at some point I'll be hit for posting this, as folks are just sure that the aftermarket will fix the problem, or that Harley will get it together. Harley has no choice. These engines are running hot to meet emissions.

It's truly a shame because it is hard to imagine how the Motor Company can keep putting out air cooled bikes.

Quick Reply: One Hot Bike