Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Walmart Microfiber cleaning cloths?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:25 AM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to the OPs original question, Proper Auto Care says their rags are 70% polyester and 30% polyamide according to their website, but neither Griot's or Poor Boys list the material content of their microfiber towels. I know one poster replied that Griot's is cotton, but I can't find anywhere on their site to back up that claim, and "microfiber" is more of a description of physical characteristics than material content.

So who's got what?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:29 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

I use the WalMart micro-fiber towels starting last year. I throw them away when they get dirty. No issues so far. Work good on my black bike, and my silver car.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 AM
dano309
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

got some from a "everything's a dollar store".......best ones i ever used......no chit

Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 AM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure the OP wanted feedback from people that USE the wally world cloths. If you haven't used them, don't bash them.

Cheap is not always a bad thing. I get a better look on the bike from a CHEAP can of lemon pledge than i do from the expensive crap i bought at a motorcycle show.

Anyways, I have a black bike and use the microfiber cloths from walmart. Have not had any scratches or qualms with them. Wash and dry them like any other towel. I don't wash them with my clothes however (i have no idea what the lemon pledge left on the cloths will do to the clothes).

On a side note, check out their large car drying microfiber towel they have too. Drys the bike off much better than those sham-wow things or any weird rubber towel that you ring out. I use this because i don't care to buy a blower to do it.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:40 AM
dano309
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

big lots has them a lot of times too........

Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 AM
UltraPoppy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ks6c
Back to the OPs original question, Proper Auto Care says their rags are 70% polyester and 30% polyamide according to their website, but neither Griot's or Poor Boys list the material content of their microfiber towels. I know one poster replied that Griot's is cotton, but I can't find anywhere on their site to back up that claim, and "microfiber" is more of a description of physical characteristics than material content.

So who's got what?
Your correct. Microfiber is a description of the size of the fiber being used to construct the cloth. Really has nothing to do with the material being used to construct the cloth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfiber

Microfiber textiles tend to be flammable and emit toxic gases when burning.[citation needed] They are made with synthetic fibers such as polyester and nylon which are made from petrochemicals. Microfibers are not made from a renewable resource and are not biodegradable.
microfibre refers to synthetic fibers (fiber) that measure less than one denier. The most common types of microfibers are made from polyesters, polyamides (nylon), and or a conjugation of polyester and polyamide.
Cotton is not synthenic and it is also a renewable resource. So it is not used to make microfiber cloth.

Last edited by UltraPoppy; 07-16-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM
bullseye
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All inexpensive mocro fiber rags have polyester backing at least and will scratch your paint, especially black. For the least expensive 100% pure cotten rag, go buy a package of diapers. You can wash and reuse them many times and they never scratch your paint so long as they are clean.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:05 AM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

Yep...I use 'em on my scoot and have for years...not a problem.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems with scratching using the walmart microfiber here. They do leave some lint after a wash or two.

Like bullseye said baby diapers good way to go too.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:44 AM
mtowner
Tourer

That's all I use is the Wal-Mart micro fiber and windex to clean the black denium with. Machine wash and ai dry. They work great!