Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring bike understeer

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:35 PM
SmokinHarleydavidson
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring bike understeer

Last weekend im out for a day of hard riding up the I 40 through Black Mountain into Ashville. As i begin to climb running about 75 to 80 MPH the front wheel does not want to grip and leaning doesnot correct the striaght line the bike is taken, finally i had to roll out of the gas and front brake just alittle to regan control. If it was a race car i'd crank two rounds of wedge into the rear and be on my way. Anybody else have this happen? And or know a good fix. I got a real seat pucker outa this one.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:48 PM
soundman
Road Captain

Learn how to ride a motorcycle before you kill yourself. Are you serious?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:53 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Leaning doesn't turn a motorcycle. It may assist but it doesn't turn it.
What year and model bike?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:16 PM
flyer91
Tourer

When trying to make time in the twisties, I use the counter-steer method to get the bike (any bike) to do what I want quickly.
It's really counterintuitive, because you actually momentarily push on the handlebar opposite of the way you want to turn.
One note of caution ....... it's effect is about as controversial as the green flash above the sun at sundown, O's birth place ...... and the use of a car tire on a bike.

But ......... to get more info on the subject, you might want to do a google search for "how to counter-steer a motorcycle".

Old 07-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Bibleman
Cruiser

The only way to get a motorcycle to turn at speed is to Counter steer.

"Look right, press right, go right." The MSF coaches will drill it into you, and for a reason: It works.

Doing so causes the bike to lean (and not you physically leaning), and envokes the gyroscopic effect, ergo the bike turns.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 PM
sunnenman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Youtube has several videos on this subject. Watch and learn!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pull ever so slightly on the opposite bar to effect the counter steer. Works well for me that I don't even think about it. the same side push wasn't as easy.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Bibleman
Cruiser

MSF Course
David Hough's Books
Ride Like a Pro Videos

Old 07-15-2010, 05:26 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinHarleydavidson
Last weekend im out for a day of hard riding up the I 40 through Black Mountain into Ashville. As i begin to climb running about 75 to 80 MPH the front wheel does not want to grip and leaning doesnot correct the striaght line the bike is taken, finally i had to roll out of the gas and front brake just alittle to regan control. If it was a race car i'd crank two rounds of wedge into the rear and be on my way. Anybody else have this happen? And or know a good fix. I got a real seat pucker outa this one.
Happy to hear you got a good seat pucker out of it ! I didn't know I 40 was a race track ? Why don't you try a real race track some time, every body can see how good you are and you'll only take yourself out when something lets loose. Take your ride a little cooler and you might live to ride longer.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Next time you come into a curve to hot and grab the front brake it may be the last curve you need to worry about.

Quick Reply: Touring bike understeer