Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring bike understeer

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:16 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

could it be that you were going too fast for the curve i'm assuming you were riding through? tire pressure will affect it also if it's low too. i'm guessing that you were trying to get the bike to do something beyond it's limits???

Old 07-16-2010, 01:36 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

By the way, not making the curve is the number one cause of single vehicle motorcycle accidents. I read about a rider getting killed in this manner every couple in the news paper. So it is something that should be understood and practiced.

Beary

Old 07-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by asm481
Next time you come into a curve to hot and grab the front brake it may be the last curve you need to worry about.
2 places you don't need your front brake; tight curves or parking lots

Old 07-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normally down shift or in a lower gear going through sharp turns and I rarely use the brake. Whether I take the outer yellow line and cut back into the white in a turn. I am always looking through the turn. Once I come out at the end of the turn, then I twist the throttle and roll out. Its all in the mechanics of riding. After a while it becomes second nature.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:24 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jags93
I pull ever so slightly on the opposite bar to effect the counter steer. Works well for me that I don't even think about it. the same side push wasn't as easy.
I can't believe some of the "advice" in this thread. I will only comment on the one in the quote above..... "Push" on the inside bar is the correct manner to execute a counter steer. A "push" also serves to get the rider's weight on the inside of the turn which assists with the turn and loading the suspension in the optimal manner for traction in order to make the turn happen. A "pull" on the outside bar does not accomplish that.

I think a lot more than the OP need to take a riders' course.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:37 PM
whistlebritches
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all these safetyhounds bangin on the OP.....yall tell me again you've never run 80mph on the interstate!!...hey OP....run the snot out of it, only you know when its not safe....like a few others say, look right, push right, go right

Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM
gwvulcan
Cruiser

I finally found a picture of the OP in a parking lot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYe7K9li5X0

Or should I say the future for the OP.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:05 PM
soundman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Street Jewell
I normally down shift or in a lower gear going through sharp turns and I rarely use the brake. Whether I take the outer yellow line and cut back into the white in a turn. I am always looking through the turn. Once I come out at the end of the turn, then I twist the throttle and roll out. Its all in the mechanics of riding. After a while it becomes second nature.
Actually, you're supposed to be rolling on the throttle as you enter the curve, not after you're coming out. If you're rolling on the throttle throughout the curve, you're transferring weight to the rear tire which plants it to the pavement better. As a general rule of thumb, you want 40% weight on the front tire, and 60% on the rear when going through the twisties. You accomplish this with correct throttle control. Check out Keith Code's book "Twist of the Wrist".

Old 07-16-2010, 05:37 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhfguy
I can't believe some of the "advice" in this thread. I will only comment on the one in the quote above..... "Push" on the inside bar is the correct manner to execute a counter steer. A "push" also serves to get the rider's weight on the inside of the turn which assists with the turn and loading the suspension in the optimal manner for traction in order to make the turn happen. A "pull" on the outside bar does not accomplish that.

I think a lot more than the OP need to take a riders' course.
I almost always push rather than pull but I don't agree with you that pushing serves to put your weight on the inside of the turn. In fact I think if you're not making the effort your weight may be nuetral or a bit to the opposite side.
Depending on the curve I may push and pull a bit.
We're on the same page but may disagree on where our weight is when pushing or pulling.
And yes, weight on the inside helps.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:25 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by nvsteve
I almost always push rather than pull but I don't agree with you that pushing serves to put your weight on the inside of the turn. In fact I think if you're not making the effort your weight may be nuetral or a bit to the opposite side.
Depending on the curve I may push and pull a bit.
We're on the same page but may disagree on where our weight is when pushing or pulling.
And yes, weight on the inside helps.
Try a fairly tight moderate to quick speed curve a couple of times, once by pushing and once by pulling. You will find that the bike follows the line you are expecting much better with the push than pull. Especially at a higher sped. The bike will dip down into the curve better. The push will also be better than a combination push/pull. Now, its effectiveness could also depend on the bike and weight load... I found the sole push to be much more effective on my EG than on my previous Dyna.., but still more responsive than the pull.

Quick Reply: Touring bike understeer