Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:04 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard a lot of good things about the "new" HD Boom Speakers with the built in tweeters. They are on my list of next things to buy for my Ultra.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine recently added a complete set of the new Boom Audio speakers to his Ultra. I was very surprised to find they sound way better than my Hogtunes speakers.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM
StonerGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Added the Boom Audio speakers to my Ultra this past weekend and was completely amazed at the difference in both volume and quality of sound as compared to the stock set. I had no interest in putting on an amp etc so I figured I would give them a try.
For once at least HD has surprised me as these little buggers really crank.
Thinking about adding the bass port kit now for just a little more bottom end.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM
kingcobra
Advanced

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
Ideally, as I found out, you want your speakers ohms to match what ohms are powering them. If you are using just the radio, then the radios ohms. If you have an amp, then the amps ohms. Either way, the speakers will sound better if the ohms match.

I had some 4 ohm alpine components powered by a 2 ohm ARC amp and didn' think they sounded all that great. I changed those out to the J&M 7.25's which are 2 ohm and it sounds a whole lot different.

As far as water, I believe unless you have that outer fairing totally sealed up to the inner fairing, water will find it's way in there. If your worried about that, I suggest you find some marine speakers instead. Since you got those Pioneers for free, I would just run those until something happens.

I have some type of insulation in my fairing and really can't tell the difference from when I didn't. You will find some people here that swear by it. If you end up purchasing the J&M's, they come with some insulation and you might as well try it out since they come with it. I didn't install mine because I already had something in there before I got the J&M's.

Thanks for the info. That will help alot. Ill have to check the speakers I have. Is the ohm rating for the factory deck available somewhere. Also who do you recc in the aftermarket to sort this stuff out. I need 6.5 adapters and other items possibly. Thanks KC

Old 08-12-2010, 09:00 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

side by side here at the J&M audio trailer at the Sturgis motorcycle rally ,,,,

two 2010 Road Glides with stock Harley HK radios, no amps ,,,,,, one with the new Harley BOOM speakers with single grill mounted tweeter ,,,, other with the J&M 7.25" speaker upgrade, with grill mounted tweeter and midrange ,,,,,,

same CD ,,,,, same volume settings on radios ,,,,,

the bike with the J&M's had significantly more bass and just a lot more sound in general,,,,,,

the opinion was unanimous among 5 different guys all standing around the bikes ,,,,,

Old 08-12-2010, 12:47 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

Not ragging your product John but I got what I wanted for what I paid. Have bought other stuff from you but those 7.25's were a bit pricey for me right now and for the level I wanted to go.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:35 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

Stoner ,,,,

Not a problem, that is why there are choices in the world and thank the lord we have them ,,,,

Please remember that we also offer our performance speaker upgrade in the 5.25" size for $129.99 list price ,, see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....-09GTM-B&PF=43 ,,,,

these smaller 5.25" J&M's will outperform the Harley stock and BOOM audio speakers also ,,,,

Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
Stoner ,,,,

Not a problem, that is why there are choices in the world and thank the lord we have them ,,,,

Please remember that we also offer our performance speaker upgrade in the 5.25" size for $129.99 list price ,, see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....-09GTM-B&PF=43 ,,,,

these smaller 5.25" J&M's will outperform the Harley stock and BOOM audio speakers also ,,,,
So, if i get these 5.25's for the front of an Ultra will they have better bass than the Boom's? I wont be using an amp.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

yes sir ,,,, the J&M 5.25's have more bass than the Harley Boom speakers ,,,

BUT,,,, certainly not as much as the J&M 7.25's ,,,,,,,,

Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, thats good to know, I'm still on the fence about all this speaker stuff.

Quick Reply: Speaker Opinions.