Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

18bklr, by the way, the hog tunes tweeter pod uses the same holes you'd drill in the inner fairing to install harleys dash pad, so that's not a big deal at all. the template is the perfect guide for drilling the holes. and a no brainer as everything is plug and play with the hog tunes tweeters. i'll likely swap out the stock main speakers for something a bit more efficient when i get bored.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:04 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
i'm using the hogtunes tweeter pod in my streetglide. it's an easy install and looks like it belongs there rather than an add on. it really improved the treble/highs. i don't like the idea of running an amp, that's just something else that can go wrong i figure. you will not get the booming bass out of a bike stereo, but then again, who would want to sound like you're driving a 92 corolla with 12's and huge amps that rattle every plastic piece of the car.
Not so fast , my friend !! I DO get booming bass out of a 'bike' stereo !

Old 07-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
For running without an amp, I've heard good things about the new Boom Audio speakers HD has.
I put set of 4 in my Ultra for $232. I'm totally satsified for that price.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnx121
I'm going to be doing the speaker upgrade. Thinking about J&M 7.25 Heard good things about them

Then you better read the other two threads from this morning where people are complaining about them....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-to-think.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...red-wrong.html

Last edited by Harley_RN; 07-25-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:08 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_RN
I put set of 4 in my Ultra for $232. I'm totally satsified for that price.
Always remember: A GOOD DEAL IS A STATE OF MIND !!!

If you are happy with your purchase, the product & the price,...YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL !!!!

YMMV !!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 PM
pops1290
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

r8rs4lf,i see you have the x-100 alpine, do your handlebar controls work w/head unit?

Last edited by pops1290; 08-10-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:51 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pops1290
r8rs4lf,i see you have the x-100 alpine, do your handlebar controls work w/head unit?
Nope. When I first got the head unit I was looking everywhere for something to allow the use of the controls. PAC was the only company offering something at the time, but it seemed very involved with soldering and everything so I passed on it. Then Firecap told me he had something, that never panned out. Now I see a few companies are offering kits to allow the use of the controls. It just isn't at the top of my Harley "to do" list. The radio works and sounds great for right now and I don't miss the controls because I never had them.

I'm sure I'll eventually get something installed in there for it.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:16 AM
kingcobra
Advanced

Can you use any type of speaker you choose. Auto,ect. How do you protect against water? Has anybody had ant luck adding to the inside of the fairing? dynamat,insullation, ect. Just picked up a free set of 6.5 in pioneer 3 ways? Thanks
KC

Old 08-11-2010, 05:07 AM
HDStreetGlide
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Infinity Kappa's, better sounding than the J&M 7.25 IMO, and they cost less. PM me if you want a deal on a nice used pair of J&M's

Old 08-11-2010, 06:23 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kingcobra
Can you use any type of speaker you choose. Auto,ect. How do you protect against water? Has anybody had ant luck adding to the inside of the fairing? dynamat,insullation, ect. Just picked up a free set of 6.5 in pioneer 3 ways? Thanks
KC
Ideally, as I found out, you want your speakers ohms to match what ohms are powering them. If you are using just the radio, then the radios ohms. If you have an amp, then the amps ohms. Either way, the speakers will sound better if the ohms match.

I had some 4 ohm alpine components powered by a 2 ohm ARC amp and didn' think they sounded all that great. I changed those out to the J&M 7.25's which are 2 ohm and it sounds a whole lot different.

As far as water, I believe unless you have that outer fairing totally sealed up to the inner fairing, water will find it's way in there. If your worried about that, I suggest you find some marine speakers instead. Since you got those Pioneers for free, I would just run those until something happens.

I have some type of insulation in my fairing and really can't tell the difference from when I didn't. You will find some people here that swear by it. If you end up purchasing the J&M's, they come with some insulation and you might as well try it out since they come with it. I didn't install mine because I already had something in there before I got the J&M's.

Quick Reply: Speaker Opinions.