Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loc-tite and checking torque

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:21 AM
a1a goose
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loc-tite and checking torque

This may be a dumb question, but I see post after post about checking the torque on everything from heel shifters to pulley bolts so this is my question. If these are bolts that are installed with loc-tite either blue or red am I possibly breaking that bond if I'm rechecking torque values. Should I be removing bolts/screws etc and reapplying loc-tite each time I want to check them? Just curious.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:42 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If a bolt has loctite on it it should not work loose. If you check it and it is loose then the loctite has failed. Red loctite is pretty strong and green normally requires heat to loosen. Blue will resist vibration.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:44 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use loctite blue on every bolt possible without a torque wrench.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:51 AM
a1a goose
Cruiser

Maybe I should rephrase question, if I use loc-tite do I need to ever go back and check torque? For instance with the heel shifter which I see post after post of people having them fall off, if I use blue and set torque I should not have to worry about it again?

Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 AM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If you tourque a bolt and use loc tite you should be able to check the torque at any time because when the loc tite dries that will increase the torque needed to move the bolt. If the bolt does move when your checking things, then the loc tite has failed and you need to remove and clean the bolt and redo.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 AM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by a1a goose
if I use blue and set torque I should not have to worry about it again?
wrong

Old 07-15-2010, 06:14 AM
a1a goose
Cruiser

Originally Posted by brockstwrt
If you tourque a bolt and use loc tite you should be able to check the torque at any time because when the loc tite dries that will increase the torque needed to move the bolt. If the bolt does move when your checking things, then the loc tite has failed and you need to remove and clean the bolt and redo.
Thanks

Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 AM
buick455gs
Cruiser

There are two types of friction, static and dynamic. When your tightening a bolt and the bolt is turning that is dynamic friction. When you stop and then start again you have to overcome static friction which is higher. So if you also add loctite this could furthur reduce friction during installation. When the loctite cures you will have to overcome its bond strength plus static friction so using the same torque you used initialy should not move the bolt. If it does, you will have to remove it, clean it, then re-apply the Loctite.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:43 AM
FXSTCRYDR
Cruiser

When you do check the critical items for torque, set the wrench to the low range. IE if the spec is 15-21 ft/lbs. set 15 and check it. If the bolt is tight you are good to go. If it breaks free, remove it, clean it if required, apply new blue loctite, and retorque to a mid range value. 18-19 in the above example. Just my teqnique, every wrench has their own way of doing things.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

When checking all the "critical fasteners" and assuming the bolts are NOT loose, when I attach the torque wrench to the bolt and attempt to turn the wrench but do NOT hear the click, nor does the bolt turn, should I then assume the bolt is at the proper torque? Also, since each fastener shows a RANGE in the specs where do I set the torque value on the wrench to check the torque? I can see how I might set the torque value within range but at a higher value than what the bolt is currently torqued and wind up torqueing the bolt higher than really necessary.