Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty - Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017 | 09:11 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Clearly there are arguments pro and con for the ESP and it depends on the individual's perspective.

I'm on my second ESP ('13 CVO Ultra) and so far I am underwater on what I've paid vs what I've "used" (a voltage regulator at 25,000 miles) so far.
Currently, I have two years left and probably about 20,000 miles to ride on my ESP so only time will if mine is a return on investment.

In regards to putting money in the bank and letting it work for you (or me), in today's financial situation, if you put $ 2,000 in a checking, savings, or money market account where you have quick access to it, you will see very little paid interest added to your account monthly.

I do agree that by NOT buying a $ 2,000 "insurance policy" makes sense unless you have a serious breakdown, or even worse, multiple breakdowns and in such a situation, an ESP would be well worth the cost.

Old 09-28-2017 | 09:23 PM
T Man
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
If it was truly worth it, they would raise the price.
Yeah this, I don't have data to quote but if you look at what ESP costs compared to what the average expenses would be without it, the cost of paying the repairs (on average) will be lower or they wouldn't offer it. Exactly the same concept as term life insurance, in the end if the insurance companies didn't make money they wouldn't do it.

Old 09-29-2017 | 05:44 AM
philly48
Cruiser

Any warranty purchase is betting against the house, and the house [I]usually[I] wins.Insurance know most warranties won't get used and its pure profit.

Old 09-29-2017 | 06:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by lh4x4
ESP's contribute to the pussification of America.
The whole of Western society, in fact!

Originally Posted by philly48
Any warranty purchase is betting against the house, and the house [I]usually[I] wins.Insurance know most warranties won't get used and its pure profit.
And talking of houses, a few years ago we had our kitchen refitted and entirely new appliances installed. The total cost of the recommended ESPs amounting to the price of an extra new appliance! We didn't bite.

If I was using a bike as a year-round daily commuter (as I did in my earlier life) an ESP might be worth considering, but no way would I buy one for the leisure and occasional touring I do now.

Last edited by grbrown; 09-29-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-29-2017 | 06:19 AM
yankees1996
Cruiser

I was looking at a plan offered by Discountesp.com and their plan mirrors the factory warranty on a Harley and it is offered for six years for $1000. I would not pay $2000. but $1000. seems pretty reasonable . I do have life insurance that will cover me for only another four years and I hope it was a waste of money !

Old 09-29-2017 | 10:34 AM
Knutson Boltz
Banned

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I put 25-30k a year on my bike...I keep $1500 in a "Bike" account for emergencies...I've had six bikes in the last 10 years and never went into my emergency account...But, I may be incredibly lucky...But I do know that someone is making a profit by selling extended warrenties or they wouldn't still be in bussiness so ost people must never need to use them...
Warranties are just insurance, of course they make money at it. When your new bike comes with a 2 yr warranty (insurance), the price of the insurance is hidden in the price of the bike. Nothing is free, except the money you pay for any insurance and its free (unearned)to the seller of the insurance.
Some people finance their bikes, they are also paying interest on the insurance (warranty), and the interest goes to the same people who sell insurance....bankers. Who are the same people who finance the purchase.
With all the economic mumbo jumbo removed, and the legalese omitted, what you finance and insurance contracts would say is..BEND OVER.

Old 05-04-2018 | 11:04 AM
Erictomlin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pyeman
I just picked up a 2010 ultra, traded my 08 fat boy in on it. also added the 5 year warranty and tire and rim. The way i see it is a few tires changes will pay for the warranty, or rim damage. for the heat these 10 generate i think the warranty will be money in the bank.

Hey pyeman.....looking back, how did the warranty work out for you? I'm looking at a 2011 110" CVO and have heard that these motors are "hit or miss" in terms of reliability. Lots of issues with lifters, pushrods, compensators, etc. Trying to determine if the ESP would be a good investment. Thanks!

Old 05-04-2018 | 11:11 AM
Erictomlin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HarleyMan58
I just purchased the ZURICH extended warranty...Hope I never have to use it, but as others have stated it's a piece of mind and the coverage is there if needed...Just preparing for the unknown...

Hey HarleyMan...what did you pay for your Zurich warranty? That is the warranty being offered by the dealer of the bike I'm considering. Also, have you had to use the warranty yet? Thanks.

Old 05-04-2018 | 07:53 PM
Frozen Excursion
Advanced
Default Well worth it

The ESP pretty much paid for itself when my ABS system went for a crap.

Dan

Old 05-05-2018 | 04:16 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by T Man
Yeah this, I don't have data to quote but if you look at what ESP costs compared to what the average expenses would be without it, the cost of paying the repairs (on average) will be lower or they wouldn't offer it. Exactly the same concept as term life insurance, in the end if the insurance companies didn't make money they wouldn't do it.
You act like these Harleys never break down and anyone who buys an ESP is an idiot. Hey, these bikes are HARLEYS, not HONDAS!!! Get the darn warranty! ROFL!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty - Worth It?