Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty - Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017 | 11:38 AM
Ericson38
Cruiser

Bought a used FLHP (2011 with 103) with 34K miles from the Harley dealer I worked at. Bought 2 year ESP for 1500 (their cost). Within 3k miles lost charging, had to replace regulator, rotor, and the ring gear on the starter (clutch housing) was chipped, so that was replaced too. At 4K later, got a sound on the right side, and ESP replaced the cams (frosted lobes), lifters, and cam plate. Big time yes it was worth it.

Old 09-16-2017 | 12:00 PM
sbeast
Road Master

The esp I got on my bike paid for itself within a year. Regulator, breather assembly, temp sensor, throttle body gaskets, primary seal, and a few other things I can't recall atm

Old 09-16-2017 | 12:11 PM
yankees1996
Cruiser

I know people who feel cheated if they can't/don't use their insurance policy through a claim ! They don't feel the same about a Life Insurance policy though !

Old 09-16-2017 | 07:53 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior

My 08 RG when it hit 40K it started to fail. Between then and 74K I've used the ESP for
Compensator, 3rd gear, Stator, Regulator, Starter, Wheel bearings, Fuel pump, Cam chain tensioner, Rocker cover leak, Another bearing in trans, and rear break light switch.
Now tell me it didn't pay for itself.

Old 09-17-2017 | 09:16 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

its all a game of odds,miles you ride,ability to repair,ability to haggle for repairs...there making a killing on those plans.

Old 09-17-2017 | 10:01 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by yankees1996
I know people who feel cheated if they can't/don't use their insurance policy through a claim ! They don't feel the same about a Life Insurance policy though !
sence this is an HD forum your right, but sure people feel cheated with life insurance...

-your worth more dead than alive...WTF!!!!

-your family could become fat and lazy lol

-you can live by your means as you should and leave family in a stable position...

-you can invest those premiums too..

-You deprive them of a great experience in life of starting from the bottom , the struggle makes us strong.

Old 09-17-2017 | 01:12 PM
batman.
Road Master

Originally Posted by yankees1996
Sorry, new to all this !
no need to apologize it got entertaining for a bit there. Here's my take on it. I got the esp for my 14 street glide when I ordered the bike. I was planning on riding across the country at the time so if it breaks down I'm covered. I've since road to new Mexico and back, down to north Carolina a few times, Pennsylvania a few more times, planning on riding across to Portland in 2019, then up to Vancouver British Columbia. So if it breaks down during anybody those trips I'm covered. Hotel and all. If I never use it so be it. It's peace of mind knowing I have it if necessary.

Batman

Old 09-28-2017 | 05:34 PM
Alex_Ness
2nd Gear
Thumbs up

The factory warranty on my 2016 Sportster's coming up next summer so I've been shopping around for ESPs. Found a promo at a local dealer for the ESP at a competitive rate to the other dealers in town plus they throw in the tire and wheel coverage for no additional cost.

I get what many of you are saying about the ESP not being worth it in many cases and that a good alternative is to just put $ away for repairs. Since I'm not experienced at wrenching and am planning on putting many, many KMs on the bike in the next 5 years (only got 12K on er this year), I think the ESP is worth it. There's some things not covered but the major bits are and given the amount of $ I've spent out of pocket on the other 2 bikes I owned over the years, having this in place for if things do go wrong is a good plan in my books.

Old 09-28-2017 | 07:33 PM
jberg
Road Warrior

I don't buy the extended coverage for anything else but I did buy it for my Ultra. I'd say I've come close to even each time I've paid for the ESP. With 50k on it now I could end up getting a major component replaced for $50. Just got my heated grips replaced. That's $50 vs around $600 installed. You never want to suffer a loss even though it's insured but it seemed like a good idea to me to be covered.

Old 09-28-2017 | 08:30 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

What don't some understand about the fee set for insurance. The selling company has long determined what amount will provide them with the margin they want.

Sure some make out but the majority do not.

I travel extensively every year. If my machine breaks down I pay for it as that is how I planned and prepared my life for. A broken toy is not a catastrophic loss for me. Save more money on not buying ESP's over the 70 some motorcycles in my 61 year years of riding to pay for three or four of them.

The same with TV's, cars, appliances and even HF tools. Everyone and their cousin tries to sell service plans with their products now. Why? Because they make a lot of $$$ on it.

ESP's contribute to the pussification of America.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty - Worth It?