Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty - Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010 | 07:48 PM
prostar
Club Member

There is some good advice here already. I bought an 08 in March that goes out of warranty 8-9-10. There was a big push when I purchased the bike to get it. I have not bought it for most the reasons posted here. I also thought after putting some miles on the bike I would have a better idea of how dependably the bike was. I have had one warranty repair, the seal of the front brake resevior (sp) leaked and took some of the finish off the top and bottom. They replaced both and I had the top changed to chrome for $10.00 I'll keep 1500.00 in the bank for repairs instead.

Old 07-14-2010 | 07:49 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't really know but when I have bought them it always felt like I was betting on whether or not my bike/truck would break down and the only way I could win the bet would be if it did break down.

Old 07-14-2010 | 07:56 PM
JG09
Intermediate

I have used my warranty 2 times since i bought my bike. The lates would have cost me $600 for an oil leak that required replacing the stator. (Or so I was told)

Old 07-14-2010 | 07:59 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I don't really know but when I have bought them it always felt like I was betting on whether or not my bike/truck would break down and the only way I could win the bet would be if it did break down.
That's pretty much what it comes down to. I'm betting that given my riding habits, if it breaks down or gets a flat, it won't be in my garage where all my tools are, it'll be in the middle of BFE at 10pm. Like I said, so far I've had a tow, two tires, and labor done under the ESP at no cost to me. The total on those two invoices was a shade over $900. This is after not quite 8 months of ownership.

I don't plan on getting rid of this bike anytime soon, and at the rate I ride, it'll have 200,000 miles on it by the time the ESP expires. If I do decide to sell it after 5 years (when it's got 140,000 or so miles on it), I'll be able to sell it with a warranty.

It's win-win for me.

Old 07-14-2010 | 10:20 PM
Never2Late
Cruiser

Is the warranty for "unlimited mileage". I bought one a few years ago for my car and it had years and mileage. The mileage went over before the time.

Old 07-15-2010 | 12:56 AM
neteng
Novice

I only paid $700 for my 7 year ESP with tires on the FLHTK.

The following users liked this post:
Slick- (10-13-2016)
Old 07-15-2010 | 05:47 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Sure if you have more time than money they me benificial, Ive heard horror stories on how long it takes to get anything major worked on...wait on adjuster, wait on approval, wait on parts, wait on repairs..... Buddy just had a bent crank on a 07 ultra, he bought the warranty - I told him not to - took him just shy of 3 months to get his bike back and still cost him a chunk of change.

Old 07-15-2010 | 05:55 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

If you never use it it was worthless....Gamble... i got one and paid for itself big time...

Old 07-15-2010 | 06:11 AM
Buddha64
Tourer

Mine is currently in the shop, bad fifth gear main bearing, and is finishing up paying for the warranty. Last November I had a bad rotor and cover assembly also covered on the warranty. For that last two years I've wanted to cancel it because I know my way around wrenches fairly well but now I'm glad I didn't. This is my first Harley which is why I bought it.

You'll just have to really think about what your capable/willing to repair, what mods you'll be wanting to make that may void the warranty and the possibility of being down while away from home. Then decide if it's worth it or not for you.

George

Old 07-15-2010 | 06:12 AM
Buddha64
Tourer

Originally Posted by Never2Late
Is the warranty for "unlimited mileage". I bought one a few years ago for my car and it had years and mileage. The mileage went over before the time.
The warrantys are for time only, unlimited miles.

George

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty - Worth It?