Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used oil analysis

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:06 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts
Default Used oil analysis

So I sent an oil sample from the FLHTK to Blackstone Labs for analysis. There's an awful lot of (what I consider) BS on the various Harley forums about what sort of oil you "should" use, and how often it needs to be changed. And then there's the whole "oh noes, it runs so HOT" thing. I'm hoping to put all that to rest.

I was in a hurry, so I drained the oil cold. I think that explains some of the high mineral counts. The oil was in for 5,600 miles, and took me to Eureka Springs and back, as well as to Florida and back. There was an awful lot of highway running, a good thousand + miles of high rpm backroad riding, and the remainder was commuting (and being stuck in traffic) and normal cruising. The oil was in the motor for less than 4 weeks. Ambient temperatures ranged from the low 80s to 105. My air filter was filthy, so I think that explains the elevated silicon number.

I'm a little concerned about the viscosity rise, but I'll wait for my next sample to start panicking.

Last edited by '05Train; 07-14-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:29 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting for my collection kit from Blackstone. I've captured about a half quart of used oil from my last change. Will be interesting to see how they compare...

Old 07-14-2010, 05:39 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to one I just did with similar total mileage on my bike (only mine is an '08 I wish I could get 20K a year on it but I can't

Last edited by brunswickoh; 07-15-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:45 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back when I was in the Army our mechanic would do POL samples of tranny and oil on the hummers. We beat these things to death. They would not change a Fluid at all till the POL testers said to. That is sand, water, mud, pretty much anything you can think of. Oil stayed clean for a long time. Almost like changing your oil in your car at 3000 miles. They have had us tricked for years. I run Mobil 1 in my chevy and change it every once a year. I do only drive it about 5-6 thousand a year though. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:53 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

If your concerned callblackstone and they can give you more information. I did on my diesel and I found out the oil I used had more additives of a certain type and that why a couple things were high. They will talk your ear off.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:14 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

May I suggest next time take the sample when the oil is warm, this way the particles are more suspended in the oil and the readings probably be as concentrated as a cold sample when everything has settled to the bottom.
I also noticed this is your first sample, Ive been monitoring oil samples for a long time and the initial test usually reads higher, once a baseline is established the future readings should drop.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
May I suggest next time take the sample when the oil is warm, this way the particles are more suspended in the oil and the readings probably be as concentrated as a cold sample when everything has settled to the bottom.
I also noticed this is your first sample, Ive been monitoring oil samples for a long time and the initial test usually reads higher, once a baseline is established the future readings should drop.
Yeah, like I said, I was in a hurry and didn't have time to run the bike the day I did the swap (and it was another 105 degree day, and I didn't feel like f-ing with a hot bike). I'm going to run a sample at every change just to monitor things, but other than the viscosity, I'm pleased with what I see here.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd like to see a similar sample, with the same conditions with conventional HD 20/50.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:27 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 18BKLR
Back when I was in the Army our mechanic would do POL samples of tranny and oil on the hummers. We beat these things to death. They would not change a Fluid at all till the POL testers said to. That is sand, water, mud, pretty much anything you can think of. Oil stayed clean for a long time. Almost like changing your oil in your car at 3000 miles. They have had us tricked for years. I run Mobil 1 in my chevy and change it every once a year. I do only drive it about 5-6 thousand a year though. Just my 2 cents.
If youre going to do that I would have the oil tested periodically so you will catch anything going south before its too late.

Im doing an extended oil drain test on diesel buses, Im doubling the change interval from 3k -10k to 6k-20k. Im using a 4 micron filter and the oil results are almost the same as new oil and 10x better than oil changed at regular intervals w/o the 4 micron filter. This is on dino oil too.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bookmarking so I can look up at home later. How much for the test?

Quick Reply: Used oil analysis