Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: 07 SG Cams Upgrade & Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I'll ride down and lend a hand.....
Let's see if we can make it work.

Zach

Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,240 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed

I'm not a professional mechanic, but I've done several cam swaps.
I stayed at a Holiday Inn express

Old 07-14-2010, 11:08 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BoBlinky
Yes, harley shop.
Actually, this isn't the egregious crime I might've suggested earlier. They are obviously more comfortable tuning with the PCIII or PCV, but they should at least be able to tune a bike equipped with SERT, which is a Harley product. Having to change tuners when you already have a very good one is unacceptable, IMO. I would still take it somewhere else.

curious, did you conclude "where you likely ride" because of location (e.g. eastside, seattle suburbs, therefore city riding and the occasional long-haul)
I mentioned "low-end," which means low RPMs. TD's tend to hurt low-end performance compared to stock head pipes, all other factors being equal.

Upgraded cams because (a) I'm a notorious tweeker and I am so bad about wanting to "optimize" something that I'm convinced can be (b) did lots of reading here and other sites AND talked to riding buddy's that CAM upgrade was the first bang for buck perf upgrade. my closest buddy rides a '06 TC88 that he bored out and put cams in right after purchase cause he was so disappointed with perf. He's always encouraged new cams (c) a site I came across in my research reco'd Andrews 37s among the 5 or so possible upgrades possible for my particular ride and I got a great deal for 'em on ebay
I didn't question your decision to change cams, but was asking why you chose the TW37's. Anyway, you already bought them, so go with them. It's just that the TW37's will like a bit more compression to retain torque in the low-end, but if that's not your priority they are a good choice. If I were in your position I would invest in a 4° advance gear from Andrews, as that will compensate somewhat for this characteristic if you retain the stock compression. You might want to call Andrews and discuss this with them.

Cam upgrades are very good bang-for-the-buck performance upgrades, but the wrong cam may not be an upgrade if the performance kicks in at an RPM that doesn't fit your riding style.

Like I said, I'm no greasemonkey, ... wish I were, just a riding enthusiast who loves modding $hit. But I might hit up my buddies who do know their way around their rides.
Most of us are not "grease monkeys," but the vast majority do a lot of tweaking. A cam upgrade is a fair exercise in the art of tweaking, but it can be done by almost anyone who has a moderate array of tools and can read the service manual. I would accept one of these generous offers to help you do the job and go for it. The experience is something you will not forget.