Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill Country Custom Cycles

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010 | 09:25 AM
bullseye
|
Road Captain
Default Hill Country Custom Cycles

Has anyone installed the HCCC ape kit on a ABS Electra Glide? I have a 2010 and I'm thinking about buying the 14" kit from them and I'm just wondering how difficult it might be.
Thanks.

Old 07-14-2010 | 10:02 AM
NMRoadking09
Advanced

I dont have abs, but my bars are from HCC. I bought the whole kit ready to go. Controls wiring and all that was done. From what I have seen the abs isn't much more difficult to switch out. If you have any mechanical skills you should be ok. I dont have any skills and was ok with the help of a buddy.

Old 07-14-2010 | 07:01 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member

I put one of there kits on my RK last winter, I was a top quality kit everything fit and it was much easier than doing it from scratch and having to figure out all the cable lengths and stuff.
There kit does make it easier but it's still a big job.

Old 07-14-2010 | 08:15 PM
JG09
Intermediate

I put a 16" kit on my RK last year. I have helped 3 others do kits from HCC. None of the bikes had ABS but I recieved a bad brake line from the factory and they next day shipped a new one to me. It's a great kit and fairly easy to install. I had a problem with bleeding the dual front discs and bought an air powered brake bleeder for $30 and got them working in minutes. Buy from this company.

Old 07-14-2010 | 09:12 PM
Glide'n09
Tourer

We will be doing one on my brother's Ultra this weekend. Will let you know how it goes..

Old 07-15-2010 | 05:28 AM
missile
Tourer

I am doing my 09 abs right now. Nothing different from any other bar install I have done other than some extra brake line. I have installed just about every brand brake line out there and they have all sucked. The splitter at the forks for the front brake lines either wants to leek or is made of a huge chunk of metal that sucks. I ordered all my lines this time from Dr. V Twin and Shawn talked me into going with Magnum black pearl lines. The magnum brake lines are a 3 piece system for the abs. You have 2 lines going from the master cylinder to the abs module. One comes from the module to inside the fairing the other top line hooks to this one with a compression style fitting and then goes up the master cylinder. The reason for this is so you can change your bars and only have to change the one short top line which will save you money. Now for the bottom line it is a one piece system that goes from the module all the way to the calipers it bolted up just like the factory with no worries about leaks. I another thing I would suggest is that you change out your riser bushings with some from alloy art. My bike is the first one I have done the bushing swap on and boy is it going to make a deferents.
I will report back this afternoon how the bleeding goes and if i have to take it in to get it digit teched or not. I am going to do it like I have all the others and hook everything up and hook a 65cc syringe and rubber hose to the bleeders and start pulling fluid through until I can't see any air coming in.

Old 07-15-2010 | 07:17 AM
bullseye
|
Road Captain

Thanks for the replies, please let me know how your jobs go. I had not planned on changing the lines from the ABS controller to the calipers though. I really don't care too much about what the bike looks like as after 11 HD's and countless thousands on mods, this one is staying mostly stock. The reason for the bar change is comfort not looks.

Old 07-15-2010 | 10:47 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior

Missle I hope you are taking pic's with this set up.

Old 07-15-2010 | 11:51 AM
missile
Tourer

Originally Posted by bullseye
Thanks for the replies, please let me know how your jobs go. I had not planned on changing the lines from the ABS controller to the calipers though. I really don't care too much about what the bike looks like as after 11 HD's and countless thousands on mods, this one is staying mostly stock. The reason for the bar change is comfort not looks.
I wasn't planning on changing the lower line either but I decided when I found out it was a one piece unit that I would go ahead while I had it tore down. I just got through bleeding the brakes and now I got the clutch cover off going to change the cable then start putting it all back together. Kind of off subject but I am getting pissed I took off today for my pool builder to come out and start digging at 0700 and now it is 1145 and he hasn't showed or called and I can't get him on the phone. This is like the 3rd reschedule he has done but at least I will have my bike finsished today.
Back to the bike subject for ABS make sure you have 2 bottles of brake fluid on hand I had to stop and go pick up another bottle. Which I probably wasted more than most I just kept pulling till air stopped showing up.

Old 07-15-2010 | 12:11 PM
swoopjr
Tourer

Originally Posted by MassHD
Missle I hope you are taking pic's with this set up.

yeah man, where are the pics??????? I want to see those sweet bars.

Quick Reply: Hill Country Custom Cycles