Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kentucky exhaust noise enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Dalbergia
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
You will not have any issues getting through Kentucky but remember Georgia has a helmet law and they heavily enforce it.

Be safe! I-75 is really congested at times. I drove that route every two weeks for two years. Timing your ride to miss rush hour in Knoxville and Atlanta should be a priority.
Tennessee also requires helmets (according to the AMA), so I'll have to already have one on by the time I get to Georgia.

I should miss rush hours in both cities with the planned timing. It has been years since I've been south of Cincinnati on I-75, but I have been all the way to both ends of that road more than once.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Dalbergia
Tourer

Originally Posted by steveh326
monster ovals are the quietest aftermarket pipes I have ever heard. I think you need to find something else to worry about.
Yes, they are the quietest performance pipes V&H offers. They are significantly louder than stock pipes, and the law in question references the stock sound volume. With the recent surge in noise concerns, and the revenue enhancement opportunities they represent, it is a legitimate concern.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
Timing your ride to miss rush hour in Knoxville and Atlanta should be a priority.
I made the trip from Statesboro GA to Cincinnati or back, every few weeks for 2 years. Always planned my trip around rush hour in Atlanta! You do not want to hit Atlanta at 7 am or 5 pm. Especially 5 pm on Friday!

Lilman

Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 AM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be fine. Loud bikes are everywhere around here, and I haven't ever seen a problem. Unless you are looking for trouble, you shouldn't find any. Good luck, and safe trip to ya!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 AM
mech8251
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with all the above. You shouldnt have any problem at all. I've riden mine from Fl to Oh a few times with no problems.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:53 AM
oldandbusted
Advanced

If you have the time, get off the highway in Kentucky and take the long way, its a beautiful state

Old 07-14-2010, 10:03 AM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have ridden from Tennessee to Ohio and back many times both on I-75 and the back way on Hwy 23 on the eastern border. I have Vance & Hines long shots and never had a problem with Kentucky law. Now Virginia that is different. Hwy 23 thru Scott County Virginia enforces every law strictly. They will fine 58 in a 55mph zone, ask me how I know. Also they cite you $90 bucks for aftermarket exhaust. I also got a warning citation for having green led lights under my gas tank. I have a neighbor who got cited for having tinted windows in his car. Stay out of Scott County Virginia!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 PM
HAG11Limited
Cruiser

Just rode from Michigan to North Carolina Monday the 5th came home saturday the 10th (rode blue ridge parkway it was awesome) with me on my King w/monster ovals and my buddy on his street glide w/D&D fat cat no problems with LEO's in any of the states we hit. Have a good ride and don't worry enjoy your time.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Probably need to worry more about getting run over by a cager in Atlanta Ga. than loud pipes.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 PM
indigofarm
Tourer

You won't have any problems. Lots of straight pipe bikes around central KY and haven't seen or heard of trouble with pipes. I agree with several others. Hop off of 75 and enjoy some of the bluegrass without dodging semi's

ride safe

Quick Reply: Kentucky exhaust noise enforcement