Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at buying a '99 Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010 | 01:39 PM
flyer91
Tourer

I also have a '99 RKC that has just under 12K on it.
The previous owner bough it new, did the stage one and then and put a lot of chrome aftermarket goodies on it.
I looked for a number of months, and ended up paying $9700 for it delivered to Ca. form Az., with a small deposit and right to refusal after delivery and riding it.
Although this wasn't on my mind when I bought it, it seems that every piece of complex equipment, be it a bike, car, RV, or lawn tractor has issues that don't become known, and more importantly get dialed in with "the proper fix", until after a few years have passed.
In 5 to 10 years the new 2011's faults will be known, and people riding 2020's will advise spending a bit more to get the "fixed" versions of the 2011's and/or provide the future "used buyer" with the "what's and how's" to fix/update the old ....... and out of date ...... 2011's.
I certainly won't argue that new isn't good, but as I've gotten older I am finding that half price (or less) for almost new (low mileage) is sometimes almost, just as, or even better than new.
IMHO: if you shop wisely and do what it appears you have done (got the extended warranty and 15K service), and all things being equal ..... at the end of the day it's more than likely going to make you a happy camper ....... even if you need to spend an additional 10 to 15% to do the things that are now the know 'wise' preventative things to that particular machine to make it reliable.
I hope you enjoy your semi-new-old-stock RKC as much as I'm enjoying mine ....... and (all sincerely meant) with no disrespect to the guys that paid the difference between new and "damn near as good" as new ...... for us.

Last edited by flyer91; 07-15-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2010 | 04:52 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FXSTS-88
Didn't want to get into a pissing contest! I really don't care what he buys!
I was just stating that for the same money he could move up a few years.

By the way, I've worked on both systems and the 'newer' systems are a lot easier to get parts and to work on. I just installed a PCIII on a '99. It took about 2 hours to do the install. It only took about 20 minutes to install one on my '05.
Me neither! It is tough though to have money in hand and want to ride when you have to be following ads and comparing bikes instead of riding. I'm just tired of hearing the MM systems pounded as if they had some serious flaw, which they don't other than taking more than a monkey with an allen wrench to set the cold/warm idle. Were they that unworthy, I'd be the biggest megaphone on this site to steer people away from them or sell carb conversion setups out of my garage. I wonder if the '99 doesn't have a different installation procedure for the PCIII, like under the seat compartment, rather than under the sidecover on my '01 where the install is like you stated, 20 minutes or so?

Old 07-15-2010 | 06:04 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

I have a '99 Road King classic, bought it 2nd hand in 2006.
It had less than 8000 miles on the clock, and it's up to almost 50,000 now.
I've not had any issues with it so far, and I don't expect to at this time.
It's FI, stock 88" motor, with a K&N air filter and Samson Silver Bullet fishtails. I take care of her, and she takes care of me/us.

I'd say go for it....

Old 07-15-2010 | 06:05 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

Everyone with a 1999 keeps talking of how it is not worth a trade-in to get a newer bike from 1999 to the 2003 up with a newer FI system.
The original poster asked if the '99 RK was worth the money the dealer was asking.

There is nothing wrong with the '99, in general. It is just worth looking at a Newer year for the same money. Right now it is a Buyer's market. Try for the newest year the same money can buy.