Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at buying a '99 Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010 | 04:02 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by aviator
this is a good post. what's been changed?
It has a Ultra tank, but a Classic console in the center of it. The front finder is a Classic fender with Ultra badges. The tour pak is Classic, not Ultra. There is no engine guard or lowers, and the passengers foor boards have been changed to pegs. ...I believed the bike was a Classic, not a Ultra when it was born.

Old 07-14-2010 | 04:06 PM
aviator
|
Elite HDF Member

hmmm. thanks. I appreciate your attention to detail.

Old 07-14-2010 | 04:13 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

I believe you said you were looking at a '99 Clasic. I'm almost sure that is what it is. For some reason someone changed the tank, or at least the paint job on it. I would want a engine guard on it if I bought it. Mine have saved me big $$$ more than once. ..........Also I had a '97 with the old type FI on it. I rode it over 90K before it got whacked with NO problems with the FI.

Old 07-14-2010 | 04:20 PM
aviator
|
Elite HDF Member

it is advertised as a Classic. with the low miles, I believe it'll last me a long time. because of my knee arthritis and back problems I'm not gonna ride long distance, nothing more than a couple of hours at a time.

an engine guard may be something else I'll want to ask for.

thanks again.

Old 07-14-2010 | 04:21 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

UPDATE!

the '99 looks a little rougher than the photos showed, not bad - and I think with some elbow grease, it could be decent looking. certainly never show quality or new looking, a 20 ft bike. I don't care for the color combo, Red & Black.... but it's not bad looking.

the salesman threw a 2 yr warranty, 15k service and sales tax in to sweeten the deal.
Good deal! You're nuts the color combo is great. Red always been my favorite. You got a low mileage bike that you should get some years out of before it is older needing work. Be happy!

Old 07-14-2010 | 04:24 PM
hythomasf
Cruiser

you ride an '02, but tell me to buy an '09 or '10??? why aren't you taking your own advice?

and when can I expect a check from you for the difference? yeah, that's what I thought - all talk......

DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO.

anyway, thanks for chiming in.
Simply, because I did not know the forum before. And ABS came out a month later or so on 2008 models. I enjoy what I have. Sooner or later I will trade for a new white RKC or UC. (Btw, price here in Germany are religiously high.)

Do what do you do is right for but then don't ask for opinions.

Old 07-14-2010 | 04:28 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hythomasf
One of the drivers for me to look for a newer model is ABS. If I would be you I would look for a 09 or 10 model.
The ABS became an opinion on all Touring models beginning with the introduction of Brembo Brakes in 2008. That was the year of the first 6 gallon Fuel Tank too. (The Police Model has ABS earlier than 2008, but it took part of the Saddlebag. Not the same as now, or a good option)
I would not consider earlier than the 2007 year. It was the year Harley increased the displacement to 96" and the 6 speed transmission.

When I was replacing my 1998 Ultra that was totaled, I would not consider any year earlier than the 2009 because of the new frame. I bought the 2009 Road Glide. I looked at the 2010. I didn't get it because I am a Tourer. Harley made the Road Glide into a "Bar Hopper" I would take too much money to change and add options to make it a Tourer again. (Like I haven't spent enough already to add the Ultra back to mine) lol

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 07-14-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2010 | 06:28 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master

Originally Posted by Firetender
Either FI system is going to be the same, each one has parts that will eventually wear and need replacing, unlike carbs which as we all know last forever and are fool-proof. In fact the MM was Harley's first choice, a simple, proven reliable system that would still be in use today if not for the EPA. When the DOT/EPA announced that throttle-by-wire and closed-loop fuel injection would become mandatory, just as in automobiles, HD began searching for a system that could accomodate these, and the Delphi system could. The MM system will not adapt to throttle-by-wire or closed-loop fuel injection. Of course, it's human nature to suggest that one is of course so much better because it's new, because it is better, yadda yadda, etc. ad nauseum until it becomes a myth unto itself. Yep, you must verify you have the upgraded bearing, gear drive is nice if you don't like $170 tensioner replacement every 20-thousand miles, and you might not want to put a lowering kit on the bike unless you upgrade the swingarm. Otherwise, here's one Stage III+ modified MM Harley that can keep up with any 103 on the road in SoCal, and there are many!
Didn't want to get into a pissing contest! I really don't care what he buys!
I was just stating that for the same money he could move up a few years.

By the way, I've worked on both systems and the 'newer' systems are a lot easier to get parts and to work on. I just installed a PCIII on a '99. It took about 2 hours to do the install. It only took about 20 minutes to install one on my '05.

Old 07-15-2010 | 06:51 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXSTS-88
For 10 grand you should be able to move up to an '03-'04 and get the 'new' FI system.
I agree

Old 07-15-2010 | 11:38 AM
Hx3
Road Master

I have a 99 and an 03 and have logged a couple thousand miles on rented 08s and 10s. The most recent included a 450 mile day on a 2010 Ultra Classic. I read over and over how folks won't even look at the older bikes but in my opinion there isn't really that big a difference in the newer bikes versus the older ones. My 99 has actually given me less problems than my 03 has for the same amount of miles driven. Sixth gear is only good for higher speed highway cruising and the difference in torque/hp/handling is not that significant. The only area that I notice a large difference between the bikes is the 99 brakes are much weaker than the newer brembos, but not worth trading bikes for. For those that question my riding ability and ability to judge the differences, I've ridden expert class in my local track days and most of the Harley riders I've ridden with can't keep up once the roads get twisty.... Your money though and your choice.

Quick Reply: looking at buying a '99 Classic