Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at buying a '99 Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010 | 12:10 AM
CroK
Banned

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
I have seen in Bagger Magazine that it is easy to upgrade the earlier Twinkie to the Hydraulic tensioner without the expense of the Gear drive.
It isn't terribly difficult, but can be a pain the first time. Another member mentioned the inner cam bearings, that's also a good idea if he's going to the trouble of upgrading the tensioners or even with a gear drive setup. If it's open, why not?

Didn't he mention 14,000 miles? Most don't have to worry until approaching 25-30k miles. But, then some have had catastrophic failure before that mark too...

Old 07-14-2010 | 01:14 AM
stafford
Road Warrior

on the 99 you gotta buy the conversion kit, about 500.00 then you have to buy a different gear because of the cam sensor, another 70 or 80. I've seen the gear drives go for 350.00. Not knocking either system just informing. I went with chain driven cams in my 06 and the newer style tensioners. I really think you can find a newer bike for the same money. A friend of mine has a 99 and he's started having trouble with the M M fuel injection and it's getting expensive. Otherwise it's the same bike as my 06. As a side note there is a bike shop in Ellijay Georgia that has an 05 electgraglide standard with a salvage title that has been cleared. It needs a front fender and a little cosmetic work, it's a theft recovery. has 32,000 miles for 7500.00. Hot rods and harleys in Ellijay georgia , if you're interested.

Old 07-14-2010 | 07:51 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master

For 10 grand you should be able to move up to an '03-'04 and get the 'new' FI system.

Old 07-14-2010 | 07:57 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior

I have a 1999, and there's a couple of bearing issues, depending on your engine manufacture date; and some other cam chest concerns.

1. The bolt used to attach the drive sprocket to the rear cam could loosen and cause the rotational force to shear the cast key of the sprocket, causing engine failure. The design was changed to the splined setup that's used now, as well as a bigger bolt. Mine never had an issue, but the condition does exist.
2. The bearing used in the cam support plate for both the front and the rear camshaft was originally a ball bearing. The rear bearing failed due to the extra loading and the design was changed to use a roller bearing for the rear only.
3. The inner cam bearing is an INA manufactured one, with rollers spaced apart by a steel stamped "cage". Many here (myself included) prefer the Torrington bearing that has more rollers without the steel spacing cage.
4. The cam chain tensioners are a wear item, and seem to wear inconsistently. I pulled mine at 38k, and they were worn, but still OK, others have had them disintegrate much earlier, and cause lots of engine damage by being ingested into the

A: oil pump and scarring the cam support plate with a resultant loss of oil pressure
B: cam bearings
C: crank bearings

These are the worst case scenarios, and many have had their bikes run long and trouble free.

I weighed the options, and decided a gear drive and all new bearings was the best route for me. You have to pull everything out anyway just to change the rear cam support plate bearing, and to me it made sense to get the biggest bang for the buck by doing all the cam chest work at one time.

Old 07-14-2010 | 03:15 PM
aviator
|
Elite HDF Member

UPDATE!

the '99 looks a little rougher than the photos showed, not bad - and I think with some elbow grease, it could be decent looking. certainly never show quality or new looking, a 20 ft bike. I don't care for the color combo, Red & Black.... but it's not bad looking.

the salesman threw a 2 yr warranty, 15k service and sales tax in to sweeten the deal.

Attached Thumbnails looking at buying a '99 Classic-classic.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010 | 03:29 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FXSTS-88
For 10 grand you should be able to move up to an '03-'04 and get the 'new' FI system.
Either FI system is going to be the same, each one has parts that will eventually wear and need replacing, unlike carbs which as we all know last forever and are fool-proof. In fact the MM was Harley's first choice, a simple, proven reliable system that would still be in use today if not for the EPA. When the DOT/EPA announced that throttle-by-wire and closed-loop fuel injection would become mandatory, just as in automobiles, HD began searching for a system that could accomodate these, and the Delphi system could. The MM system will not adapt to throttle-by-wire or closed-loop fuel injection. Of course, it's human nature to suggest that one is of course so much better because it's new, because it is better, yadda yadda, etc. ad nauseum until it becomes a myth unto itself. Yep, you must verify you have the upgraded bearing, gear drive is nice if you don't like $170 tensioner replacement every 20-thousand miles, and you might not want to put a lowering kit on the bike unless you upgrade the swingarm. Otherwise, here's one Stage III+ modified MM Harley that can keep up with any 103 on the road in SoCal, and there are many!

Old 07-14-2010 | 03:47 PM
hythomasf
Cruiser

I bought couple years ago a 2002 RKC. Because I wanted a white one. And I still like it.

From reading the forum now for over 2 years I wouldn't buy earlier then 2002 because bearing issues (like addressed above), wobble issues, broken rear swing arms, updated electronics etc.

How will a warranty help if you will not be satisfied with the performance, ride quality and technical problems. It looks like you are buying more a deal than a bike.

One of the drivers for me to look for a newer model is ABS. If I would be you I would look for a 09 or 10 model.

Old 07-14-2010 | 03:49 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

The red and black Harley in the picture has had a lot of parts changed on it. I can't figure out whether it was a Classic or a Ultra when it rolled out of the factory.

Old 07-14-2010 | 03:52 PM
aviator
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hythomasf
I bought couple years ago a 2002 RKC. Because I wanted a white one. And I still like it...... ......If I would be you I would look for a 09 or 10 model.
you ride an '02, but tell me to buy an '09 or '10??? why aren't you taking your own advice?

and when can I expect a check from you for the difference? yeah, that's what I thought - all talk......

DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO.

anyway, thanks for chiming in.

Old 07-14-2010 | 03:53 PM
aviator
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by will2002
The red and black Harley in the picture has had a lot of parts changed on it. I can't figure out whether it was a Classic or a Ultra when it rolled out of the factory.
this is a good post. what's been changed?

Quick Reply: looking at buying a '99 Classic