Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you detail your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:42 PM
DMJFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fatboy is always spotless. So are my cars and truck. I enjoy washing and maintaining them just as much as riding them. On another note, I detail bikes and cars on the side for extra $ and you would not believe how lazy people are. I can make $150 off a fully detailed Ultra that might take me about 4 hours to do. If you don't mind the work it's easy money. It helped pay for the 10 limited I pick up in Sept.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:44 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When I wash my bike it is pretty much a detail as I clean everything and at least use a quick detail mist wax. Just got through going over some light scratches with a buffer and made a huge difference.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:47 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never - too much work and I like riding better than I like cleaning. I wash it when it needs it.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

RIDE, I JUST WANNA RIDE!

Seriously, we have a 8 month riding season. Once in the spring and once when I put it to bed. Quick washes and Pledge/S100 as needed in between.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny Dwayne we must have been polishing away at the same time, spent about four hours with wash, blow dry, wax and chrome polishing. I like chrome mirror like chrome and deep reflective paint, if it in the Sun I want you to have to put your sun glasses on to look at it, Usually three times a year covers it, for the major clean then zaino wash Z7 and Z6 gloss enhancer, and yes this does make my bike ride better it's so slick, it cuts down on drag

Old 07-14-2010, 02:19 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

NEVER! Here is a shot of my Ultra getting detailed by my wife, and another of me sipping a Captain Morgan and coke while enjoying a cigar in the garage with my dog while the wife is detailing the bike. She does great detailing.

Attached Thumbnails How often do you detail your bike?-pat-washing-the-ultrar.jpg   How often do you detail your bike?-pat-washing-the-ultra-4-r.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dwayne.aycock
I didn't say 7 hours was spent on the bike. I said 7 hours were spent in the garage....you are forgetting, the garage is where the beer, fan and tunes were.
Some days here in Atlanta, it's just too damn hot to ride! When the sun goes down, it is quite nice riding in the evenings. My attention to detail comes from the order and discipline learned over the past 19 years in the Military.
Have you ever served? Those that have know where I am coming from.
Dwayne
I only served for 8 years, I guess that was not long enough to make me want to spend 7 hours detailing a bike. I spend 2 hours cleaning then 5 hours riding.

Do you think at 64 years old they would let me go back in for 11 more years to get motivated?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM
HOG CHIEF
Intermediate

Usually do a full detail about twice a year. Takes a few hours to clean the chrome, paint, pull the bags off, get the wax residue off etc. Usually give it quick clean before a ride, gets dusty in garage. When come back from a ride usually the next day get the bugs off, clean it up a little. Lot of guys joke about riding a dirty bike, but I would say we all have a definition of dirty....

Old 07-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to keep it clean and wash it usually at least once a week.

Big question is how many of the beers you put in the cooler did you use?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

I had a Heineken 12 pack, and some good tunes. In the process of the full detail, I discovered a few loose bolts and nuts as well as some pinched wires and hoses. I know for some this is a drag. I can't say I liked the reason for the detail, but I am pleased with the result. I also find it funny that there is teasing going on with the idea that anyone who cleans his bike is not riding it. Believe me, I ride and I ride hard, but when it comes time to take care of my investment, I do what is necessary to take care of it. I am the guy that stops to help the stranded biker on the side of the road by lending him a tool or going to get some help. I don't care if his bike is dirty or not, but most of the ones I find myself helping, are the same ones that believe a dirty bike is a bike that is being ridden. Could it be that this same bike being ridden a lot, is not sitting still long enough for adequate maintenance, which includes time set aside for paint and metal care (DETAILING)?
D.

Quick Reply: How often do you detail your bike?