Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best price/brand 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best price/brand 6 speed?

My 06 RG is in need of a tranny. The splines on the output shaft are stripped out and it's going to be pretty costly to R&R so I am thinking of just going with a 6 speed.

So, 2 questions. Which way to go? Baker D&D? Good/bad/uglies on what's out there.

Question 2, who's got the best prices on them?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:14 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard nothing but good on the Baker gearsets. Check out Phat Performance (site sponsor). I haven't really shopped around much, but they have a good price on the DD7 which is what I'll be going with if I ever need any trans work done.

A friend of mine has the SE 6 speed in his Softail and doesn't have any complaints about it either though...

Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
harry.b
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an SE six speed complete transmission from LSHD1.com with free shipping and saved lots of money. I think it was around $2600.00 at the end of the day. That included the clutch cover. Hope that helps.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:53 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read a review on 6 speeds a year or so ago...I forget which mag I saw it in.

Baker and the SE were the top rated. I have an SE unit in my RG and love it.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I haven't heard any bad things about any of the 6 or 7 speed boxes. I keep thinking of a Baker DD6, which is the one I would choose, but something else always pops up!

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
I haven't heard any bad things about any of the 6 or 7 speed boxes. I keep thinking of a Baker DD6, which is the one I would choose, but something else always pops up!
I don't think I'd go with a 7....6 would be fine.

My confusion is on the kind..there is TRUE 6 speed, then more of a 5 spd with an OD gear...what is the best route for bikes with more HP.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I heard Baker is the best.
Ultima is the least expensive. I know somebody with an Ultima and he loves it.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo38sfi
I don't think I'd go with a 7....6 would be fine.

My confusion is on the kind..there is TRUE 6 speed, then more of a 5 spd with an OD gear...what is the best route for bikes with more HP.
I have quite clear views on that! I have an S&S 107 in my bike, with a little over 100 HP and TQ. I am not about to kill the improvement in performance by fitting it with an overdrive gearbox! Both Harley and Baker use a sixth overdrive gear of 0.86:1. That means when using sixth that the torque to the rear wheel is just 86% of what is available when driving in a direct top gear (in other words fifth gear).

In OD sixth my 103 TQ would be reduced to similar levels of a stock bike in direct top. Or in other words I would be no better off when travelling in the highest gear, compared with my stock engine. Having blown out on an S&S plus 6-speed transmission I would want to feel and experience the cash spent and performance - all the time!

The choice of OD or DD really is very personal. If I am driving in Germany at 90+mph I really don't mind the bike running at around 4k rpm. It can climb long grades all the better, cope with buffeting winds, change speed easily, rather than changing down a gear. That's the way I prefer to ride my bike. I don't 'cruise' in the sense of travelling at a modest road speed and at the lowest possible engine speed.

Hope that helps you decide which way you would like to go!

Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

And conversely, you couldn't give me a 6-speed that didn't have an overdrive. I don't want to spin the motor at 4,000rpm at highway speeds for 12 hours straight. Aside from the noise, it burns more gas. More gas = more stops, which is a PITA if you're trying to make time.

I've got the S/E 6-speed in my Softail. It's a very smooth, slick-shifting box. At 65mph in 6th gear, I can twist the throttle and pass just about anything (gotta love 116 ft-lbs). If I need more, a downshift is easy enough.

I wish there was some way to fit the S/E box to my Limited, 'cause it's tons better than the stock CruiseDrive.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:57 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
And conversely, you couldn't give me a 6-speed that didn't have an overdrive. I don't want to spin the motor at 4,000rpm at highway speeds for 12 hours straight. Aside from the noise, it burns more gas. More gas = more stops, which is a PITA if you're trying to make time.

I've got the S/E 6-speed in my Softail. It's a very smooth, slick-shifting box. At 65mph in 6th gear, I can twist the throttle and pass just about anything (gotta love 116 ft-lbs). If I need more, a downshift is easy enough.

I wish there was some way to fit the S/E box to my Limited, 'cause it's tons better than the stock CruiseDrive.
I agree, if I where to install a 6 speed it would be for the over drive, not to just have another gear to shft to, if I want DD I would just pop it in 5th.

From what I understand the Baker DD6 comes with a different trans gear and a new chain for it, I have herd of people just installing the gear and chain and keeping their 5 speed, makeing 5th the overdrice gear, you would loose in 1st but not sure you need that low of a gear to begin with, I would like to know how well that works.
Terry

Quick Reply: Best price/brand 6 speed?