Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 uc only 45% of value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010 | 05:56 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

Just might do that! Gotta hurry, though, before he goes broke
I think your deal looks on paper smoking hot.
Thank you Ron.

Old 07-12-2010 | 05:57 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Find another dealer. that one is stickin it to ya.

Old 07-12-2010 | 06:11 PM
hdblk2003
Cruiser

I was at a dealer the other day here in the burbs of chicago and they offred me 18500 for my 105th ultra.He said he had alot of people wanting used baggers.He sold 12 used ultra last month and 5 used street glides. He even as bought bikes from the auctions.

Old 07-12-2010 | 06:19 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Trading is a CONVENIENCE, not a "Privilege" You should pretty much plan on being screwed when you try to trade. Sorry... this has been a fact of life since forever! If there is any way whatsoever your better off selling your vehicle outright, and buying with no trade.
I have done this on my last 4 trucks, 6-7 cars, and EVERY bike I have ever owned.
Now, what happened to "Harleys holding their value" if you mean like back in 99 or so..... well back in 2003 HD opened another plant or three, (don't know exactly) and upped production like crazy. So you didn't have to wait 10 months if you wanted a new Harley... this dropped the used bike price a bunch. Since no one now will pay nearly new price for a 3-4 year old bike just so they don't have to wait... you keep your old one, keep riding, wait the 10 months on your new one, and sell the old one to someone that didn't want to wait....

Now some dealers will give decent deals it looks like. But I wouldn't expect every one out there to scramble to get your used bike.....you may have to travel to get the deal you want.

Last edited by JimTJr; 07-12-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2010 | 06:25 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdblk2003
I was at a dealer the other day here in the burbs of chicago and they offred me 18500 for my 105th ultra.He said he had alot of people wanting used baggers.He sold 12 used ultra last month and 5 used street glides. He even as bought bikes from the auctions.
WOW,, I know a dealer who had an 08 SG on the floor for 10 months because he wanted too much for it. Low mileage too, something like 3,000.
This was last year, summer and most of winter. He still had it when I bought mine, and still wanted what I paid for my '10 the last time I looked at it.
If you can get that for trade in and your thinking about it. You better jump on it.

Old 07-12-2010 | 10:30 PM
cycler
Road Master

I was looking to trade my 2007 Big Dog Bulldog in to a Harley dealer and he offered me $10K for the bike. Another offered me $12K. The bike was $38K once I was done with it. I wound selling it privately for $18K. Paid 10K off and put the rest down on a 2010 SG that I should be picking up in 2 weeks. Your better off putting it on ebay or something like that.

Old 07-12-2010 | 10:42 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm lucky that I have a dealer that is happy to make $1,000-$1,500 on a used bike and wants used bikes on the floor. You need to go elsewhere with your business.

Old 07-13-2010 | 01:28 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

it seems as though there are lots of 2010's left on the showroom floor. that being the case in most shops i've visited, the salesmen are becoming a lot more motivated to move the 2010's off the floor to make room for the 2011's which will be out in august. around a month away. sounds like your salesman was fishing indeed. i'm glad you didn't bite. your bike is worth much more than what he offered. and i agree, as one poster stated, he'll get it detailed in the back and bring it out on the showroom floor marked, on sale for 1699 or so. i also have an 08 and wouldn't trade it in for a newer 09 or 2010, and likely not even a 2011. think about it, your 08 frame has stood the test of time. if you're happy with it, then ride the **** out of it and enjoy it. i just don't buy into feeling the need to have the newest, greatest, whiz bang gimmick that comes along, even though the salesmen will try to convince you why you need it.

Old 07-13-2010 | 07:10 AM
jgcable
Road Master

Sounds like a hosing to me but its partially your fault.
#1. When you are trading in a bike its MANDATORY that you know what the trade in value of it is!!
#2. When you are buying a new bike its MANDATORY that you negotiate the deal PRIOR to mentioning a trade in. If the dealer asks anyway.. tell him or her that you don't want to discuss it until you know how much the new bike is going to cost OUT THE DOOR.

The other important thing to remember is this... The Harley sales people have a different sales tactic then a typical car salesman. A Harley salesperson "acts" like they are your friend and a fellow rider and how they are looking out for you because its a "Harley" thing when in reality.. they are commisioned sales reps, they only make money on profit, and many times they don't even ride a Harley or ride at all. The guy at a local VERY LARGE dealership who was trying to rape me on a new bike about 5 years ago road a Honda.
Its a business and no matter how they make you feel or what they say its Caveat Emptor... buyer beware. You need to be prepared. Once you are.. then you can make friends with the sales rep.

Old 07-13-2010 | 07:26 AM
simpkinst
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dawg
Trade in for my zip code on a 2008 Ultra according to KBB is $14025
If Trade in value is 14K....then retail has to be at least 17K....Sell it yourself.

Quick Reply: 2008 uc only 45% of value?