Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 RK Classic Fuel Lines Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:54 AM
scottiedawg
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 98 RK Classic Fuel Lines Help!

Hey guys looking for some help. I have a 98 RK Classic, Fuel injected. My issue is both the fuel supply and the fuel return lines are leaking. They are leaking at the fittings just under the tank. My issue is, I have tried 2 different dealers and both have tried to sell me lines that don't look correct. Also, each had a different line than the other guy? Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you replacewith? Thanks for any help......

Old 07-12-2010, 12:39 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 859 Likes on 649 Posts

OK this is a cut and paste from one of my other posts.
I have a 1998 road king classic fuel injected with the two fuel lines.
The part number has was updated a few years ago and is now very expensive in my opinion.
Each fuel line i believe is now about $150 for a total of over $300 for the set.
Consider this paste from past post.
J and P cycle has this item which is listed for your bike and seems well priced at $160 for BOTH fuel lines and is stainless.. let use know if it works for you.
Several other forum members have reported success with its use.
**MAKE SURE TO DRAIN TANK BEFORE CHANGING..also consider purchase of new O-rings on throttle bottom connection to lines and it is easier to have some internal /external clip pliers before you start to remove the two clips..purchase an extra clip or two for about $1..the dam thing will disappear as it flies..

http://www.jpcycles.com/search/produ...s=DefaultSort&

Old 07-12-2010, 12:42 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 07-12-2010, 12:55 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

I think the OLD harley part numbers "according to my 1998 parts book" are
61470-95 high pressure
61471-95 low pressure
* if you need to work on bike and remove gas tank at some times AVOID removal of fuel lines from tank side..disconnect fuel lines at throttle body and leave lines hanging from tank..
The fuel line fittings at the tank area on that year/ model are NOT serviceable and the fitting does not like to be removed...especially if it is original and it will leak.
A few forum members have made their own connections at the tank side and fixed the problem for a little less $$...the J and P fuel lines seem like a reasonable alternative.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:09 PM
scottiedawg
Tourer

Thanks IM, I love this forum. Your right, I was told by one of the dealers it looked like they might have changed the part, he wasn't very convincing. But, each line is now $180 plus tax... I was hoping someone might have some info regarding something a little more reasonable.... Thanks again, will let you know how they work....

Old 07-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Branded 1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:48 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 1,846 Posts

FWIW, the obsolete pn#'s for those lines can be had from other dealers still having in stock. Both obsolete lines retail for $105 each. So, a parts locator will show a dealer that would have one or both on hand and you could call them and give them a credit card number over the phone and pay a $10-15 shipping charge and have them in about 3 days.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Knoxville Harley-Davidson, Knoxville, TN P-865-689-2454 shows as having both in stock. There are several other dealers that show as having one or the other, but Knoxville is showing both. Give them a call and get the original obsolete pn#'s as posted above.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:58 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked on a 2001 Road King with the same problem. Replaced both lines and it still leaked. Ended up replacing both disconnects in the tank also. The o-rings dry rot and crack. Just a heads up.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:55 PM
scottiedawg
Tourer

Thank you again for all of the help.... Really do appreciate it........

Quick Reply: 98 RK Classic Fuel Lines Help!