Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound after Cam swap - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:18 AM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Knocking sound after Cam swap - Suggestions?

So after I swapped the cams I noticed that I get a pretty noticeable knocking sound coming from what sounds like the rear cylinder. Quiet on Idle, but any accelleration at all I get a healthy knocking sound coming from the rear cylinder. I had it tuned last week and it still had the sound after the tune.

I've heard pinging before but that definitely had more of a metallic/sharp sound to it. Had 89 octane and the stock tune which once I swapped the gas out it went away.

My fear is that I messed something up when I put the SE adjustable pushrods in. I had the rear cylinder adjusted wrong and it was tapping like mad when I started it up for the first time. Definitely was valvetrain noise then. Shut it down after 15-20 seconds and redid the pushrods. Sounds quiet if not quieter than stock now.

I'm half tempted to pull the tank and the head covers and look to see if there's and visible signs of damage.

Any suggestions? Sturgis is coming soon and I'd like to have the peace of mind that it's fixed or nothing's wrong before I dare take it out there.

Last edited by SDVmnt; 07-12-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 PM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More input did u go to gear drive or stay with the chain ??

Sounds like a exhaust leak maybe on the back cyl.

I have had a exhaust leak sounding like a taping sound..

I also had a adjustable push rod to loose.. I know you checked this but take it off slow Idle rev it a little bit and feel the push rod tubes some tine u can tell if it is loose by laying your fingers on them or use a stethoscope to listen to the tube...

Sure sounds like u still have a push rod just a tad to loose....

Just tryin to put my 2 cents in hope it helps...

Old 07-13-2010, 01:33 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks white knight. I stopped by the HD dealer yesterday and he suggested I go from 2.5 turns on the SE pushrods to 3. I did that last night and my valve train is even quieter now.

Used my stethoscope and didn't hear anything in the motor that sounded odd.

ON that note, I think you may be on to something with the exhaust. While I don't notice it quite as much now, I still hear that sound. More prominent at 2700-2900rpm. I'll check the exhaust bolts tonight and make sure they're good too.