Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat worries - I am a short guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:43 PM
fatboyNick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat worries - I am a short guy

Hi Everyone, I have already posted in the newbee section so I decided to post a question here.
I have been away from riding since 1984 and I want to get back into it.
I just purchased a 96 Road King and I am have an issue with getting my feet planted on the gound, I need to get it down and inch or two.
Yes I am removing the Lazy-boy option seat that is installed on the bike and I am pretty sure at this moment that I will be getting a Solo and Pillion, I just dont know which manufactures seat to buy. I am finding out that the 96 RK seat options are very limited.
I am 5'8" and 28" inseam, the seat that is on the bike is huge.
I rode the bike around the block and I cannot get over the amount that it must weight, I am worried that if I cannot get my feet on the ground I may lose it onto its side......
I removed the seat when I got back home and layed a bath towel in its place and my feet just about sit right for me.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Here is a pic..... thanks to all that reply!

Last edited by fatboyNick; 07-11-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:49 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

a badlander seat would drop you a lot actually.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i apologize for posting twice, but there's something else you might consider and that's lower rear shocks. i have a friend in california who also has a roadglide and he has the same problem, he's actually too short for his bike. he got the reach seat and just installed some lower rear shocks. shocks from a later model streetglide would drop your bike another inch. for those who aren't tall enough to handle the height of a glide, the heritage softail would have actually been a better choice in my opinion. you might be able to find a thinner seat and shorter shocks in the classifieds section here in the forum. and just for your information, a roadglide is the touring harley with the frame mounted fairing which has two headlights. the picture you posted is a road king. wow that windshield is extremely tall. it must force you to look through it rather than over the top of it. there are a lot of shorter seats available, it's just finding the right one that you'll be happy with. good luck, and a big welcome to the forum.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Narrower seat and shocks like emwolb said makes a big difference. I am 5'6". Another thing, the shoes you wear makes a big difference. You can gain an inch. I use Wesco Fire Stormer. But there are several logger or engineer styles that will help.

Using all of the above mentioned I can now flat foot.

Start slow and get the friction zone down pat.

Don't under estimate the value of riding courses. After a long break my self, I have taken both the MSF beginer and experienced courses. I am saving to take Ride Like a Pro West Coast with Mark Paz next.

Nice looking ride.

Last edited by leicafish; 07-11-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:31 PM
fatboyNick
Cruiser

Originally Posted by emwolb
i apologize for posting twice, but there's something else you might consider and that's lower rear shocks. i have a friend in california who also has a roadglide and he has the same problem, he's actually too short for his bike. he got the reach seat and just installed some lower rear shocks. shocks from a later model streetglide would drop your bike another inch. for those who aren't tall enough to handle the height of a glide, the heritage softail would have actually been a better choice in my opinion. you might be able to find a thinner seat and shorter shocks in the classifieds section here in the forum. and just for your information, a roadglide is the touring harley with the frame mounted fairing which has two headlights. the picture you posted is a road king. wow that windshield is extremely tall. it must force you to look through it rather than over the top of it. there are a lot of shorter seats available, it's just finding the right one that you'll be happy with. good luck, and a big welcome to the forum.

Thanks I will look into the shocks and seat.
And yes that was my mistake, I have a King and I know it is a King but for some darn reason I wrote Glide, ugh it has been a long day, I cant believe I did that.....
Also I did look at a few heritage softails and I did want to buy either a King or a Heritage but I could not find a better deal than this one I bought.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:35 PM
fatboyNick
Cruiser

Originally Posted by leicafish
Welcome to the forum.

Narrower seat and shocks like emwolb said makes a big difference. I am 5'6". Another thing, the shoes you wear makes a big difference. You can gain an inch. I use Wesco Fire Stormer. But there are several logger or engineer styles that will help.

Using all of the above mentioned I can now flat foot.

Start slow and get the friction zone down pat.

Don't under estimate the value of riding courses. After a long break my self, I have taken both the MSF beginer and experienced courses. I am saving to take Ride Like a Pro West Coast with Mark Paz next.

Nice looking ride.

Thanks and YES I am going to the MSF beginer class in 2 weeks, I need the training because it has been to long and riding nowdays is not like it was in the late 60's to the 80's when I stopped.....

Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your shocks on the rear are 13", you can swap some 12" on there easily, I think I saw some at eastern performance cycle the other day for under 150.00. You might even try to find some 11 1/2". That'll help a lot, I have a C & C solo seat on mine and the 12" shocks, made a lot of difference for me. The seat can make a huge change for you as well. Lotsa good seats out there and some folks that'll cut your seat down and reshape it. If you try to lower the rear too much, like a 10" shock, you'll screw the tail light wiring up from rubbing it with the tire when it bottoms out. Dick around with it a little you'll get it to fit

Old 07-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Antnee 2004 FLHT
Cruiser

+1 on the C&Cseat. Love mine. Chuck will lead you in the right direction.

I also noticed the web site bitchinbaggers that offer options for shocks.

If you do a search for seats or shocks on the forum there are alot of great opinions and reviews.

Good luck and ride safe.