Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody know what percent markup there is in a new Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Anybody know what percent markup there is in a new Ultra Classic

While it's easy to find out the markup in cars it seems to be alot more difficult on bikes. Anyone know the percent of mark up on an Ultra Classic? I would think it would be at least 10 to 12 percent. Also what percent do the dealers get back on the left over new 2010 models at the end of model year.Car dealers use to get 5 percent kick back at model change time.That may have changed since I have been out of the business for a number of years. Thanks for your comments.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:32 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Who cares? I just make an offer on what I am willing to pay. If they accept it fine. If not fine to.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no mark up, haven't you seen the stock reports, they lose money on every one they sale. LOL couldn't help it....... unless its a left over model to be found soon, you'd be lucky just to save freight and set up, along with a store credit. Who knows with the reduced production they might hold there line and drive up the used bike value??

Old 07-12-2010, 12:38 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the only recommendation i can offer is to shop around. if you can't find the price you feel comfortable with, there are many other harley dealers. some tend to think that you'll have a tough time getting your bike serviced at a dealership if you didn't buy it from that store. that's a bunch of hogwash. try kansas city, st louis, even joplin. i know there are a lot of nearby dealerships to your area. if you can find what you're looking for at the right price a few hundred miles away for a thousand bucks less, then perhaps the local dealer will either match their price or you can catch a ride to get your new bike. in the next few weeks the sales departments will become pretty aggressive with selling off the remaining 2010's because the 2011's are coming out in a month or so. for example if i can buy a new dodge ram truck for 5 grand less in chicago than i can get it for in tulsa, i'm booking a flight to chicago.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:59 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No need to be a dick lh4x4, he's making conversation. Unless you're just too hardcore to talk about something other than fingerless gloves and which oil is better...

OP i'm with you, i'd like to know the workings between HD and import bikes and their markups

Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

stupid_rope-

I can't see how you draw the conclusion that you did. It is a very innocuous remark that I made and factually accurate.

But then you may be one of those sensitive fellas.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
While it's easy to find out the markup in cars it seems to be alot more difficult on bikes. Anyone know the percent of mark up on an Ultra Classic? I would think it would be at least 10 to 12 percent. Also what percent do the dealers get back on the left over new 2010 models at the end of model year.Car dealers use to get 5 percent kick back at model change time.That may have changed since I have been out of the business for a number of years. Thanks for your comments.
I used to wonder that, too. Even worked for a few dealerships in parts, never got a real straight answer, I think because there may not be one. HD is not like auto dealers. There are too many factors like allocation based on last year's sales, the cost of floor plans, advertising incentives, MOCO promotions, etc. I look at it like shopping in a Mexican border town; Make an offer, if it's what they need or higher, they will jump on it (and you'll wonder forever how much cheaper you could have gotten it), if it's close they will negotiate, if it's too lowball they will quit dealing and you know you are below their bare minimum.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knowledge is power... knowing the actraul cost for the dealership has helped me buy several vehicles for signiificantly less... why would it be any different for Motorcycles? I don't mind paying a resonable amount of money to a dealer but there are deals that can be made if you know what you are talking about.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:39 PM
bikerick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Markup

I know a engineer that use to work for Harley..He said dealer markup is 40% on bikes..
Even though you know the mark up, doesn't mean they have to give you a discount.. I told this to my local dealer and he didn't deny it..He still wouldn't come off msrp, so i went 30 miles south and they came off sticker $1000.00 and half for prep/ship which gave me a total savings of $1400.00

Last edited by bikerick; 07-12-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:19 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerick
I know a engineer that use to work for Harley..He said dealer markup is 40% on bikes..
Even though you know the mark up, doesn't mean they have to give you a discount.. I told this to my local dealer and he didn't deny it..He still wouldn't come off msrp, so i went 30 miles south and they came off sticker $1000.00 and half for prep/ship which gave me a total savings of $1400.00

I think 40% is accurate for parts and clothing but not for bikes. There is no way a 40% margin would hold for long. If there was that much, you would see more dealers cutting bigger deals. For example, if the bike MSRP was $20K, 40 points would make invoice be $12K. You have to know how to figure mark up.

I think 10 to 12 points is more realistic between invoice and sticker. That is why you see dealers holding MSRP more, thats only $2K profit on a 20K bike. JMHO

Quick Reply: Anybody know what percent markup there is in a new Ultra Classic