Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG, RG, or Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to admit, after getting back in the game and doing the kind of riding I now do, I wish I had got the SG, I just think it has a smoother flow to the bike. I just like the lines of the bike better.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you like a frame-mounte Road Glide fairing or the Bat-Wing Electra / Street Glide? Tour Pak or no Tour Pak? Lowers or no lowers? If you want a sporty look, I'd say the SG fits the bill the best and then the RG. If you're looking for all out comfort and convenience of almost everything that is standard equipment, it's the Ultra. The Ultra probably has the smoothest ride due to a longer rear shock but also has the 'heaviest' look to it due to the standard Tour-Pak and saddle-bag guards.

Twice now, I almost bought a SG, as I really like the look, but ended up with the Ultra, which is the Harley model for me. Can't lose with either of the three, since you can strip down a Ultra or add to the SG / RG.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:19 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Good, because that is a butt ugly color you have there
Ya that is the uglyest color I have ever seen it even the vivid black on there is no help.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:30 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fixed frame fairings are much better for me at least than bar mounted.Less shake,buffeting and more stable ride .Most of my bikes have been fixed,I went to Harley and looked at Road Glide first but that fairing seemed so deep and the windscreen did not protect me very well.I have had a couple of Ultras since and they seem to work well with a (9" Clearview screen.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:33 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Was in the same boat in 07. Was trying to choose between SG, RG and EG Classic. Ultra was never in the mix because I didn't want to pay for stuff I would never use.

All I can tell you is two things, evaluate the features of each, decide whats important to you.

Second, go with your gut/heart. If your like most of us, your gonna be making payments for quite a while. Get what you really want and what will make you happy every time you look at in sitting in the garage or get on it to ride. I promise you gettting the one you really want will mean more to you a year from now than getting the best value.

If you really want the SG, don't buy the Ultra because people tell you its a better value. Conversely, if you WANT all the Ultra toys, don't get the SG cause its the "cooler" looking bike. Buy the RG because YOU like it, not because everyone swears its the best handing bike of the baggers.

In the end, they are all the same bike at the core. Don't try to rationalize the decision too much, because if you want to be rational, you'd pay half as much for a Honda.

I've never bought an Ultra because most of the extras are things I don't want or wont use. I've never bought a Roadglide for various reasons (the current incarnation would have made the decision tougher) but chief among them are the fact that in my experience, the batwing is better at keeping air/rain off the rider, and seems to have fewer buffeting issues that need to be resolved. And I like the looks of the batwing better.

For me it would come down to the EG Classic or SG. For the price, the Classic is by far the better VALUE. But it just does not "grab" me like the SG does. I just really like the clean look of the bike. And I KNOW, that had I bought another Classic, every time I looked at it, I would be wishing it was an SG instead, even though it was a better "deal"

Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 PM
saw*me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy one of each and you'll be the envy of us all. Besides you already have a very Cool ST to throw in the mix. Got to rent em to see which one is going to fit.
Tom

Old 07-11-2010, 09:24 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Give it a little bit and you'll have a Road Glide Ultra to throw in the mix
....... that was gonna be my comment, but Dawg beat me to it.
... in making your decision, really think about how & where you're going to ride. The ultras (i'm assuming a 2011 RGU's coming) will make those inter state tours a breeze, the SG & RGC will travel, but seem better suited for 'close to town' in their stock configuration.
.......... you'll make adjustments to any model you chose, so get the one that speaks to you.
...... when my RG speaks to me, it sez 'Let's go!'

Last edited by groupw; 07-11-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

My next bike is going to be an ultra with a detach kit for the tour pak. Then I'll start stripping off and selling some of the extraneous bits that I don't need, like the saddlebag guards. I love the batwing, lowers, solo seat look.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 PM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the ultra with detachable tour pack. I love my Ultra!! If I ever replace it, it will be with another Ultra.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:58 PM
drumster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me there was really only one choice SG! But actually I had to choose what color I wanted ;-) It's a very personal thing, Go visit your local Harley Dealer when they have demo days and take all 3 out for runs and see which one tickles your fancy the most. Stick with 08 and up for the 96 & 6 my .02 cents.

Quick Reply: SG, RG, or Ultra?