Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with lowered Electra Glide/Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010 | 06:59 PM
Jtsantes
|
Cruiser
Default Experience with lowered Electra Glide/Ultra?

I purchased an Ultra Limited in December after having ridden 20+ years on a softails. It has been a challenge for my 5'9" height and 29" inseam. I replaced the seat with the "new" lower touring seat and had it modified by MCC, which netted me about 2-in lower overall. I even replaced rear shocks with the low-profile touring shocks for another 1/2-in lower height. Now I can flat foot. Problem is, when I come to a stop, especially with my wife on the back, I often stumble and nearly loose the bike. I feel like a novice rider. When I visited my daughter in New Mexico a few months ago, I visited a dealer that had an Ultra modified with both front and rear lowered and a reach seat installed. I jumped on the bike and felt as though I was on my old Heritage Classic, with a very similar riding position. I know a reach seat is actually meant for taller riders so I can only conclude that the lowered front end made the big difference for me, at least in the showroom. A this point, I feel so uncomfortable riding the Ultra Limited that I'm actually thinking of selling it and switching back to a softail. I don't know whether the height or added bike weight (+150) is a problem for me or what. Has anyone gone the entire lowering deal on an EG or Ultra and had an "AHAH" moment after the conversion. Is it worth another $1-1.5K to lower the front? I need real advice. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-11-2010 | 07:05 PM
djaudette
Road Master

I ride an 08 Ultra, and i'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam. I lowered the rear end with a lowering kit and kept stock shocks on it. Also put the reach seat on, which is for shorter (vertically challenged) riders. As far as riding 2-up, I struggled with my wife on as well. The problem was my calfs hittinf the passenger floor boards when putting my feet down to stop. I overcame that bypaying more attention to it on stops. After awhile it gets to be old habit and now I ave no issues. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2010 | 07:07 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

I bet it is the added weight of the bike and tour pak that is making you uncomfortable.When I have the tour pak and stock low seat on,I'm not as stable as when I have the bike in the solo set up.I have the lower shocks and am shorter than you,I'm 5'5" on a tall day.

Old 07-11-2010 | 07:16 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Stupid question but are using just the rear brake when coming to a stop with the wife on the back?

If not, that may be your problem also. If your using the front brake to come to a stop, the bike will feel unstable. It took me a few days riding two up to realize that the front brake is not your friend when stopping with a passenger on the bike.

Old 07-11-2010 | 07:27 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

Woo...Woooo...WOOOOOOOO DUDE!!!!!!!!
You can't just go back after your on a bagger!!!!! Now just hold on a minute there man. I lowered mine one inch lower shocks in the back but with an air ride system you can then have control over 2" of ride hieght back there with a push of the thumb. Up front I lowered it one inch with Progressive springs I have 18' and 21" wheel combos also which kind of took me back up a little bit. It does take some time to get the feet placement down on the stops after riding a bike like yours. When your riding alone its no big deal all rear pegs up. But when your loaded down and the TBag on the back your in a different world. But if you learn to just keep your feet forward use the front brake when close to stopping all works good. Another trick is right before the second you do stop turn the wheel VERY LITTLE opposite of the foot you want to land on this kind of commits you that way a bit. You won't be in that indecisive slow wobble and remember extend your legs out in front of you and DON"T put them down till your almost stopped. Took me a bit too and to tell the truth the first few rides of the season with everyone and everything on there it take me a few stops to get back in the groove.

PS. I have less than 1k in both suspension systems.

Last edited by SICKBAGGER; 07-11-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2010 | 07:53 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djaudette
As far as riding 2-up, I struggled with my wife on as well. The problem was my calfs hitting the passenger floor boards when putting my feet down to stop.
I too have changed out my OEM seat and put on Profile-Low rear shocks but had a problem with my feet catching on the passenger floorboards when coming to a stop. Here's what I did next to solve that problem:

Kuryakyn Adjustable Passenger Peg Mounts

H-D Rubber and Chrome Mini-Passenger Floorboards

Mini-Passenger Floorboards vs. OEM Passenger Floorboards

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 07-11-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2010 | 11:53 AM
Jtsantes
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Stupid question but are using just the rear brake when coming to a stop with the wife on the back?

If not, that may be your problem also. If your using the front brake to come to a stop, the bike will feel unstable. It took me a few days riding two up to realize that the front brake is not your friend when stopping with a passenger on the bike.
I use the front brake only in a straight-line riding. I use the back brake while stopping as much as I can. I got the "Ride like a Pro" DVD when I first bought the bike, which helped me with dealing with a large ride like the FLHTK. Up until that point, I used the front brake almost exclusively. When I ride solo, I am more confident in stopping. Perhaps it's the additional 300 pounds (+/-) of the bike plus wife on the bak compared with my Heritage. Thanks for the suggestion, however.

Old 07-12-2010 | 11:57 AM
Jtsantes
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SICKBAGGER
Woo...Woooo...WOOOOOOOO DUDE!!!!!!!!
You can't just go back after your on a bagger!!!!! Now just hold on a minute there man. I lowered mine one inch lower shocks in the back but with an air ride system you can then have control over 2" of ride hieght back there with a push of the thumb. Up front I lowered it one inch with Progressive springs I have 18' and 21" wheel combos also which kind of took me back up a little bit. It does take some time to get the feet placement down on the stops after riding a bike like yours. When your riding alone its no big deal all rear pegs up. But when your loaded down and the TBag on the back your in a different world. But if you learn to just keep your feet forward use the front brake when close to stopping all works good. Another trick is right before the second you do stop turn the wheel VERY LITTLE opposite of the foot you want to land on this kind of commits you that way a bit. You won't be in that indecisive slow wobble and remember extend your legs out in front of you and DON"T put them down till your almost stopped. Took me a bit too and to tell the truth the first few rides of the season with everyone and everything on there it take me a few stops to get back in the groove.

PS. I have less than 1k in both suspension systems.
I won't go back to the Heritage. Other than stopping, my FLHTK is probably the best Harley I have ever owned. On the highway, nothing comes close to the ride for comfort and handling. I just need to solve this stopping "issue" and I thought that perhaps a fully lowered bike plus reach seat combo might do the trick. Perhaps I'll ask my dealer to look out for a bike in service with that combo so I can talk to the owner in person.

Old 05-14-2011 | 02:51 PM
HD32141
Tourer
Default Which lowering kit?

Originally Posted by djaudette
I ride an 08 Ultra, and i'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam. I lowered the rear end with a lowering kit and kept stock shocks on it. Also put the reach seat on, which is for shorter (vertically challenged) riders. As far as riding 2-up, I struggled with my wife on as well. The problem was my calfs hittinf the passenger floor boards when putting my feet down to stop. I overcame that bypaying more attention to it on stops. After awhile it gets to be old habit and now I ave no issues. Good luck.

Which lowering kit uses the stock shocks?

Old 05-14-2011 | 03:04 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I am 5'6" with a 29" inseam and Thick thighs( which made it hard to get my feet down because of the width of the seat) on my '09 ultra. I have lowered and narrowed my seat and added the Arnotti air ride system and I love this system, on the highway I can put the ride height where I want it and adjust the ride for comfort and as I am coming into town I can drop 3" out in a matter of about 2 seconds. As for the stopping with a passenger and the floorboards hitting the back of your calves get the Kuryakin adjustable passenger pegs. My wife puts hers in the forward position with her floorboards down so she can shift her feet position and then when we are in traffic she flips her floorboards up and her toes on the pegs, I rarley hit the back of my legs anymore.

Quick Reply: Experience with lowered Electra Glide/Ultra?