Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with lowered Electra Glide/Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011 | 08:43 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jtsantes
I know a reach seat is actually meant for taller riders so I can only conclude that the lowered front end made the big difference for me, at least in the showroom.
Actually the "reach" seat is for shorter riders. It brings you forward\closer to the handle bars for a shorter "reach".

I have a vertically challenged buddy who bought the exact setup you were looking at. He loves it.

Old 07-25-2011 | 10:36 AM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

i have a 2008 FLHRC i read that some of the lowering kits don't work well with the roadking clasics saddle bags..anyone have any info on that

Old 07-25-2011 | 11:13 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Stupid question but are using just the rear brake when coming to a stop with the wife on the back?

If not, that may be your problem also. If your using the front brake to come to a stop, the bike will feel unstable. It took me a few days riding two up to realize that the front brake is not your friend when stopping with a passenger on the bike.
To me this is dead on. Timing and Friction zone.

I 5'6", Don't give just pratice.

Old 07-25-2011 | 01:29 PM
cp1
Cruiser

Are you hitting the boards or are you hitting her feet?

Old 07-25-2011 | 02:32 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Stupid question but are using just the rear brake when coming to a stop with the wife on the back?

If not, that may be your problem also. If your using the front brake to come to a stop, the bike will feel unstable. It took me a few days riding two up to realize that the front brake is not your friend when stopping with a passenger on the bike.
I do not understand the rational behind giving up the vast majority of your stopping power (not to mention settling the front suspension with a load) when you need it the most (with the extra weight of a passenger).

Does RLAP really recommend this?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Old 07-25-2011 | 03:14 PM
Nute
Road Master

Lower the rear end, add a reach seat and add some rubber to the soles of your boots. One buddy of mine added 1" and another added 1/2". I personally think the 1" looks strange but to each their own. I think the 1/2" was gained by cutting an old conveyor belt to the outline of his soles and then gluing it to the soles of his boots. Most old fashioned coblers will have some kind of sole they can add. You might even add lifts to the inside of your boots.

Old 08-03-2011 | 11:05 PM
chateau
Cruiser

Heres an in-expensive one that hasn't been mentioned yet that helped me out with this and that was a pair of Red Wings with an inch and three quarter heel. That extra length in the legs helped out alot, and besides, you'll look much taller too.

Old 10-31-2011 | 10:35 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain

Well, it seems like there's plenty of us Vertically Challenged Harley Riders. Mine goes all the way back to 1995 when the Roadking was first introduced. I didn't buy it because the bike was just too high. Then in 1997 they altered the frame and with Front and Back lowering kits and a Corbin Close Solo I was able to reach the ground enough to decided to buy the bike. I still wasn't real comfy with the handlebars and chose to install a set of Chubby Extended Reach handlebars. Now these bars had a riser only half as much as the stock bars and were also much wider. By lowering my hands this gave me a sense of a lower center of gravity plus it gave me more leverage for keeping the bike steady at very low speeds. aka coming to a stop.

After putting 89,000 miles on this bike I decided to move up and purchased a 2011 Ultra Glide. I had the dealership put on the front lowering kit and the lowered rear shocks. I also purchased a Custom Made Corbin Dual Torning Saddle which can accept the HD Passenger Grab Rails. Feet wise the setup is okay but not great. Riding solo the bike handles great and I really have no problem coming to stops. I still have to watch were I put my feet down as I don't have a really wide support of the bike even with both feet down. Two up is a different story and I'm really uncomfortable with how I'm able to support the bike as I come to a stop. Yes, I do use the rear brake buy like everyone else you have to end up using the grabby front brake at the last moment. And with the stock handlebars I again feel like I have too high of center of gravity and have little ability to bring the bike back upright should I start to loose it at the stop.

Bottom line is I think for all of us we need to find another set of handlebars that not only has a lower riser but also has a slightly wider spread and about a 1 to 1 1/2" estended reach. Has anyone tried this and if so what are your results and what bars did you use?

Old 10-31-2011 | 11:31 AM
ssmith579
Tourer

I just put a set of Chubby's (WO515) on my Limited. They don't add much height but do pull back a couple inches and make it a bit wider. Don't have many miles on them yet but so far so good. The Harley pull back bars came off real quick. Like the position but the wrist angle was horrible.