Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with lowered Electra Glide/Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011 | 02:58 PM
JOHD
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jtsantes
I purchased an Ultra Limited in December after having ridden 20+ years on a softails. It has been a challenge for my 5'9" height and 29" inseam......... is a problem for me or what. Has anyone gone the entire lowering deal on an EG or Ultra and had an "AHAH" moment after the conversion. Is it worth another $1-1.5K to lower the front? I need real advice. Thanks in advance.
I experienced the same situation.
I'm 5"5' and 28" inseam.
I ride a 2010 Ultra Classic and was used to my Heritage.....
Front lowered 1" (HD kit)
12" Rear Shocks (Fournales)
Low Down Mustang Seat (what a difference with the HD seats !!!!)
HD Pull Back Handlebar.

And now I have the perfect riding position.

And as mentionned by other members, I use the rear brake when going to stop...
No problem anymore.

Old 06-07-2011 | 06:49 PM
user 8373900
Banned

Originally Posted by Jtsantes
I purchased an Ultra Limited in December after having ridden 20+ years on a softails. It has been a challenge for my 5'9" height and 29" inseam. I replaced the seat with the "new" lower touring seat and had it modified by MCC, which netted me about 2-in lower overall. I even replaced rear shocks with the low-profile touring shocks for another 1/2-in lower height. Now I can flat foot. Problem is, when I come to a stop, especially with my wife on the back, I often stumble and nearly loose the bike. I feel like a novice rider. When I visited my daughter in New Mexico a few months ago, I visited a dealer that had an Ultra modified with both front and rear lowered and a reach seat installed. I jumped on the bike and felt as though I was on my old Heritage Classic, with a very similar riding position. I know a reach seat is actually meant for taller riders so I can only conclude that the lowered front end made the big difference for me, at least in the showroom. A this point, I feel so uncomfortable riding the Ultra Limited that I'm actually thinking of selling it and switching back to a softail. I don't know whether the height or added bike weight (+150) is a problem for me or what. Has anyone gone the entire lowering deal on an EG or Ultra and had an "AHAH" moment after the conversion. Is it worth another $1-1.5K to lower the front? I need real advice. Thanks in advance.
the reach seat is for shorter riders,the tall boy is for taller riders. There is a drop seat kit for the new baggers,it's1400 bucks but probably less than the beating you will take on a trade.

Old 06-07-2011 | 08:13 PM
Brettcr
Road Captain

Question for me is in your statement:

"Is it worth another $1-1.5K to lower the front? "

What are you doing that costs that much? Get a progressive drop in kit for like 129$ and get an indy to install it with no spacers and you will drop the front over 2 inches. It helps hugely. No you will not bottom it out (ouf course i am on a RG).

Another personal opinion... do not get a lowering kit. 30 bucks for the kit but it changes the angle of action on your rear shocks. Pay the extra and get rid of the crappy HD air shocks and get a set of 12" progressive shocks. So much better than the stockers and it will take you down in the rear 1.5 inches. The 1000$ + you save on the front end (seeing you calculating 1.5k for front lowering) you can throw a little in rear shocks.

These two changes will make a huggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee difference, especially with the seat change and other stuff you've done. As far as the rear boards, good luck with that. You just going to have to figure out the best way to deal with that. I would change out to nice pegs like was suggested. It'll help a little but will still bang your calfs.

Best of luck!

Old 06-07-2011 | 08:30 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior

I had the HD lowering kit for the front and rear installed before I picked up my Limited. A couple weeks later added the Mustang Lowdown seat. At 5'7" and 30" inseam, I can easily flatfoot while sitting and have plenty of butt clearance standing while stopped. I do plan pull back bars soon also, trying to decide which one to use that hopefully use the stock cables.

Old 06-07-2011 | 10:51 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

OP has more than likely solved his problem by now but I'm going to post my experience with this same problem anyway. I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam. I had mine lowered 1" front and rear. I had a Reach seat installed. This allowed me to be flat footed. All this before I rode away from the dealership. I rode this way for about 45,000 miles with no problems except the rough ride from the lowering....I installed the stock shocks and fork springs, along with Ricor Intiminators. I got a pair of thick sole and heel boots. I had my seat shaved on the sides and I now have a comfortable ride and no problems flat footing the ground....As far as stopping safely and surely, I get off the front brake and stay on the back brake. I keep my revs up about 1200 to 1500 and slip the clutch (friction zone) while applying the rear brake until I have stopped. The last few inches before coming to a complete stop, I put my left foot down. Then I put my right foot down. When I first got the bike and was riding 2 up, I would always bump my calves with the passenger floorboards and that's not safe. It took a good while to get everything worked out but now it works like a charm....You need to go to the parking lot and practice slow speed maneuvers. See how slow you can ride using the "friction zone". A little throttle and slipping the clutch combined with a little rear brake goes a long way. It really stabilizes the bike and gives you much more control. Get the Ride Like a Pro video.

Old 06-07-2011 | 11:42 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter

Dumb question that's probl been asked 1000 times;

Using those lowering brackets to move the shocks back (even just 1" )
Does it affect the ride?
Obviously you loose a little ground clearance (Not really an issue, right?)

Old 06-08-2011 | 12:13 AM
hotnchilly
Stage I
Default brand new owner

I just got my 2011 ultra limited this week after many years off . any advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-08-2011 | 10:41 AM
JRandall80
5th Gear
Arrow

Lowered the rear of my 07 FLHT which made alot of differance. Only problem was I rubbed insulation off wires in rear fender 2 times. Second time I made a longer harness and ran the wires around the outside of the fender, as Harley should have done to start with, imho. Not sure if the wires still go through the rear fender on 09-up or not, but it's something to be aware of.
Can't tell alot of differance as far as how it rides, can drag floorboards/kickstand easier though. Not a big deal just have to pay attention.

Old 07-16-2011 | 04:29 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master

I just put an LA Choppers loweing kit on my 07 Ultra. I liked this design because it moves the lower bolt on the shock straight down instead of back. I also changed the oil to Amsoil 10W (medium) shock therapy. I rode yesterday and going through swail bumps I was getting a rub so I cut the ride short. I was not realy impressed with the oil change as I feel like it took the Cadilac ride away even with only 12 lbs of air. The rub turned out to be the right side pin in the lower fender ( it has a push on washer) right at the bottom inside of the fender . I took the air grinder and sliced both sides off just short of the groove that is in them. I will ride again this weekend to see how it goes. My problem right now is not being comfortable stopping with th OL on the back. I have been 32 years on a 79 Low Rider and never had any issues with center of gravity. I rode a friends Ultra a few years ago and did not make the change then because of the CG. Now I can't take the ride on the LR so I bought the Ultra. I am 6' 1" and have a 31" inseam and flat footing is not an issue. The OL is 6'2" and weighs 178 lbs. When i am sitting still with her on the bike it feels like I have about a quarter of an inch left to right that it feels balanced. Anything outside of that it gets pretty heavy in the direction it's off. This doesn't leave any room for her to look at the valve stems or whatever they do back there and still feel comfortable holding the bike up. I will take her this weekend and see if the 1" in the rear helps. I am sure this CG issue adds to dificulty in stopping. I also use my front brake quite a bit along with the rear and I will see if not using it helps. I have put just over 1000 miles on the UC most of it has been solo and I am very comfortable by myself. Next step will be to lower the front.

Old 07-24-2011 | 07:59 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
I just put an LA Choppers loweing kit on my 07 Ultra. I liked this design because it moves the lower bolt on the shock straight down instead of back. I also changed the oil to Amsoil 10W (medium) shock therapy. I rode yesterday and going through swail bumps I was getting a rub so I cut the ride short. I was not realy impressed with the oil change as I feel like it took the Cadilac ride away even with only 12 lbs of air. The rub turned out to be the right side pin in the lower fender ( it has a push on washer) right at the bottom inside of the fender . I took the air grinder and sliced both sides off just short of the groove that is in them. I will ride again this weekend to see how it goes. My problem right now is not being comfortable stopping with th OL on the back. I have been 32 years on a 79 Low Rider and never had any issues with center of gravity. I rode a friends Ultra a few years ago and did not make the change then because of the CG. Now I can't take the ride on the LR so I bought the Ultra. I am 6' 1" and have a 31" inseam and flat footing is not an issue. The OL is 6'2" and weighs 178 lbs. When i am sitting still with her on the bike it feels like I have about a quarter of an inch left to right that it feels balanced. Anything outside of that it gets pretty heavy in the direction it's off. This doesn't leave any room for her to look at the valve stems or whatever they do back there and still feel comfortable holding the bike up. I will take her this weekend and see if the 1" in the rear helps. I am sure this CG issue adds to dificulty in stopping. I also use my front brake quite a bit along with the rear and I will see if not using it helps. I have put just over 1000 miles on the UC most of it has been solo and I am very comfortable by myself. Next step will be to lower the front.
As has been said previously, you guys who are riding 2-up on the baggers really need to get the "Ride Like a Pro" video. I have been riding motorcycles since 1964, from desert racing and motocross to canyon carving and finally, at 55 years old I got my first bagger. Riding solo on the 1/2 ton machines is one thing, but when you put 150 plus pounds on the throne behind you and throw another 15 pounds of gear in the TP the CG becomes a real issue. Knowing and understanding the physics of motorcycles and gravity and learning to use the rear brake and clutch and understanding the "friction" zone have been a big help for me when riding 2-up. It takes practice but without the knowledge of HOW to properly brake, it will not matter how much you practice if your technique is wrong. You will only succeed in being better at doing it WRONG. Get the video and then practice.

Quick Reply: Experience with lowered Electra Glide/Ultra?