Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno vs Canned Map

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:31 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dyno vs Canned Map

I was talking to a friend who had recently (3 months ago) put a 95ci kit on his '05 ultra and never got it tuned. Says it runs ok and his seat of the pants dyno says there's a bunch more power. I don't get it, I mean you spend a chunk of cash buying the bike, then you realise you want more out of it so you lay out $2-3k for for heads etc., THEN, you cheap out on the tune! It's not just about the numbers, more importantly everything is dialed in, bike runs better, lasts longer, more smile per miles.
The map I loaded as a startup map was close, although it ran a different set of cams, there were no real issues and I was able to seat the rings and get a couple hundred miles on it for the tune. Since the tune, there's no comparison. Sometimes I just don't get it!

Attached Thumbnails Dyno vs Canned Map-scn_0003.jpg  
Old 07-11-2010, 06:37 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

no doubt. even with a very basic stage 1 and highly reputed fuel moto map i was able to get another 4hp and 3 ft/bs with a good dyno tune. not a big diference but the bike felt crisper and was worth the money for me. also the fuel moto map was exactly the same as could be found on the power commander site for my set up.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:52 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
. also the fuel moto map was exactly the same as could be found on the power commander site for my set up.
from what I was just told every map you get from a dynojet dealer will only be a map from dynojet. There supposed "custom maps" are nothing different than what you get at dynojet. Dynojet just paid out $1,000,000.00 to California EPA.

So nothing "custom" about them. That's not saying they're bad. Mine when first put on the dyno was 66hp and 78t. After the dyno it was 76.6 hp and 86.5 t.

Biggest thing for me with a real tune was the heat. Noticed a difference right away. The dyno tune is money well spent and until you do it your not getting the full potential from your investment.

Good post.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 PM
cmcsns
Road Master

The startup map I used (1st dyno run) was a tune done on an '08 Ultra only difference in build was the Ultra ran Andrews 54 cams, whereas mine has Wood cams, so it was a 'close' map and served it's purpose. But still, night and day difference

Old 07-11-2010, 10:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have put the Cobra Fi2000r on four bikes. All made dramatic improvement. You do understand that they were set up by the company for the mods that you have and were tested on a dyno.

The current AIM has an article by Doctor Dyno on the various tuners and what you can do with them.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:53 PM
cmcsns
Road Master

I'm not very familiar with the Cobra but from what I see on their site it will only adjust fuel? If that's the case how can it tune as thoroughly as some of the others, TTS, SEST for example?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:45 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

for me, it makes no sense spending 4 grand or more for a motor build and expecting a canned map or self tuning device to work near as precisely as a real dyno tune. i had a pcv on my 08 streetglide with the map from fuelmoto. ran like crap, so i called and talked to one of the guys there and he sent me another map which was much better. then when i built the motor, i removed the pcv and used the newer version of the sest, which is the sepst, and i couldn't be happier after the dyno tune.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:32 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

A canned map from anyone will, at best, get you in the neighborhood. A custom dyno tune from someone who knows what they're doing will always be better.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you find out when a tuner really knows what he's doing? You can spend the extra money and it runs better than stock did but so does a map from Dynojet.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by All Aces
How do you find out when a tuner really knows what he's doing? You can spend the extra money and it runs better than stock did but so does a map from Dynojet.
Ask around and search on ze Interwebz. Joe Schmukatelli at the dealership ain't the guy. Anyone who tells you they can tune your bike in 30 minutes ain't the guy either. Yeah, a canned map will usually work better than nothing, but there's nothing quite like a bike that's actually been tuned.

Quick Reply: Dyno vs Canned Map