Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tire ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:48 AM
rl48off
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car tire ???

I met a guy who has an 09 police bike and he is running a car tire on the rear. He says it takes about an hr. to get use to it but says it's great !!! He knows it will get 35,000 miles from past experience. (tire has plenty of room) The tire size is 185/55/16 dunlop. Looks really nice on the bike. Cost was 85.00 dollars. Question is!!! Has anyone tried this yet ??? any comments pos. or neg. ??

Old 07-10-2010, 07:55 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

If you do a search on here under car tire you will see a lot of discussion about folks who do it/tried it/are against it/etc.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:25 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

It works. I just don't think he will have the performance of a scooter tire, especially in hard turns. If he drives conservatively, he should have no problems. The sidewalls will flex in some hard turns which will make it feel like the bike is sliding out from under him.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:31 AM
UltraPoppy
Cruiser

Here you go. You should be able to find out all the information you need about using a CT on a motorcycle.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding

If I had an 09 or 10 model touring series HD, it would definitely get a Car Tire on the rear. I ride with several buddies that use car tires on Goldwings and VTX's and Kawasaki V2K's. They have no problems, I have followed them some of the twisty roads in the Smokey Mountains and I couldn't keep up with them. The CT is no problem in the curves.

David

Old 07-10-2010, 08:36 AM
NECaveman
Tourer

The car tire is an option if your out on a trip and will work in a pinch. Not a good option if you like to ride the twisties.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 AM
UltraPoppy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NECaveman
The car tire is an option if your out on a trip and will work in a pinch. Not a good option if you like to ride the twisties.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKhoFbL7Fo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAHlbSzwjsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FxBSqR4Ugs

Not everyone is going to agree about using a Car Tire on a motorcycle. It just comes down would a person rather use a rear motorcycle tire and replace it every 12-15K miles. Or use a Car tire on the rear and replace it every 35-40K miles. <G>

David

Last edited by UltraPoppy; 07-10-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraPoppy
Not everyone is going to agree about using a Car Tire on a motorcycle. It just comes down would a person rather use a rear motorcycle tire and replace it every 12-15K miles. Or use a Car tire on the rear and replace it every 35-40K miles. <G>

David
I'm sure it is possible to prove black tyres are actually white, but in the meantime I'll stick with car tyres on my cars and bike tyres on my bikes thanks!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:47 AM
binkman78
Club Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
I'm sure it is possible to prove black tyres are actually white, but in the meantime I'll stick with car tyres on my cars and bike tyres on my bikes thanks!
Plus 1 - I'll keep my Dunflop's in the rain.....

Old 07-10-2010, 10:02 AM
dailydriver
Road Captain

The nay sayers never tried and the ones that tried say they'll never go back...just have to pick a side I guess. I have about 5k miles left in my rear tire then I'm flipping to the darkside....I'll be posting my experiances as I go...If you want to wait I'll be switching this fall and I get about 20k out of my back tire now so I'm thinking 45k out of the auto rear...but I ride mostly highway

Old 07-10-2010, 11:43 AM
soundman
Road Captain

Those that know the physics behind motorcycles and traction would see what's wrong about using car tires on motorcycles. One of the most important factors of traction on motorcycles is the contact patch. A motorcycle tire is designed to give you maximum contact patch for various driving conditions...such as leaning. GP bikes prove this on the track. There's a reason for the names..."Car tire" "motorcycle tire". Two different animals.

Quick Reply: Car tire ???