Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tire ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Even the motorcycle tires of yesteryear were shaped like a car tire. Here's a Goodyear Super Eagle, 5.00 x 16, which were run on Harleys. Note the flat shape of the tread.

http://www.debrix.com/v/vspfiles/pho...0305-VT-2T.jpg

Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
That tire was ridden with far too much air in it, or it would have worn evenly. Too much wear in center, too much air. Too much wear on outside edges, too little air. Simple as that.
Randy, that tire is in my garage, off my Ultra, and I just took the picture. It ran with the recomended 40 lbs of air for the life of the tire (and should have been changed out earlier). I challenge you to post a picture of your worn out tires, showing worn sides, or "even" wear. Go look at your bike tire...I bet you will see the nubs still on it and a lot more tread on the sides than the center. A tour bike does not lean over that far to wear the sides off. Simple as that.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Randy, that tire is in my garage, off my Ultra, and I just took the picture. It ran with the recomended 40 lbs of air for the life of the tire (and should have been changed out earlier). I challenge you to post a picture of your worn out tires, showing worn sides, or "even" wear. Go look at your bike tire...I bet you will see the nubs still on it and a lot more tread on the sides than the center. A tour bike does not lean over that far to wear the sides off. Simple as that.

The ones I have worn out on my Sporty don't wear in the center THAT bad. They might not be dead even, but they aren't that bad. Perhaps there is a bigger difference between a tour bike and a sporty. I just can't say.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The ones I have worn out on my Sporty don't wear in the center THAT bad. They might not be dead even, but they aren't that bad. Perhaps there is a bigger difference between a tour bike and a sporty. I just can't say.
Tires will wear like that on bikes that do mostly straight line riding.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:18 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,164 Likes on 3,675 Posts

That tire was ridden with far too much air in it, or it would have worn evenly. Too much wear in center, too much air. Too much wear on outside edges, too little air. Simple as that.
I have tried the recommended air pressure on all the tires i ran and
I disagree. On big touring bikes i see mostly the middle part flat like this..I am on my 7th tire in 3 years and they all wore like this...The only one that wore more evenly was the Avon and that was because i only got 6000 miles out of it.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

We used to run car tires all the time biggest reason was motorcycle tires were a pain to get.We never gave it a second thought and could not possibly have ridden our machines any faster,or cornered harder with motorcycle specific tires.Anybody that says car tires are not for motorcycles obviously does not know what they are talking about,simple as that!

Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 PM
gaston 2005 502
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock worn Avon tires for Boss Hosses wear like that. Also a well used tire as Hosses will smoke the tire, and it doesn't have to be stopped when smoking the tire. Starting a smoker at 70mph through 125mph in first is fun, don't ask how i know. Mine had a 240 avon on the rear when i got it. and it would get squirrely when i would whack it. i switched to a car tire wheel and would not go back. 245/35/18. Smokes quite well too.
Simple as that is not always one way for it to be done.

Darryl

Last edited by gaston 2005 502; 08-01-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:15 AM
bagger90
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tazzrider
Over the last couple of years, this type of tire thread has become as ridiculous as oil threads...lol

Let's just settle it here:

Naysayers, dig, research, pry, bribe, anything you must to find links to negative testimony due to using a CT on an MC...then post the links here as your ammo for your position. This will at least give you "some" logical "proof" for a closed mind...lol

And, on the flip side:

Believers, do a quick search and post up links to the numerous positive testimonies regarding CT use on MC's.

Believers are a step ahead already, with some videos and a few CT users already chimed in. Like said already, if you haven't tried it, don't have any testimony, video or actual experience, dissin the idea won't fly.

LOL....Nuff said!
AMEN BROTHER