Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tire ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad those crotch rockets don't have 5-6" wide steel floor boards sticking out inches off the ground, then the pics could match sparks.
My first time rolling on a car tire was on a Roadliner 1900 bike i was considering buying. Took me all of about 4 slow turns to be confident and comfortable with the tires cornering abiliies. You don't feel any shoulder or wavering but rather smooth and sure.
C'mon guys, let's see the testimony links for n against rather than "heresay" by people who haven't experienced a CT.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:49 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default car tire

Folks,

Some of you are taking this very personal, to the point of making you angry, for no reason, its like somebody is taking away your favorite toy.

We started this because its an idea that works, and if you haven't noticed, the ones that are going to crossover already made up their minds. But if you are comfortable with your MC tire, by all means, keep it and be happy, the roads are big enough for all of us.

Regards,

Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Some people just do not like change. They need to read "Who Moved my Cheese".....

Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Car tire

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
Looks to me like he is riding on the shoulder of the tire. There is very little tread or grooves on the edge like that. Hope he doesn't hit any water!

Randy,

Yesterday I rode in a huuuuuge downpour. It being storm season here, this kind of storm ordinarily would have had me looking for the nearest freeway exit, and would have been a white knuckle ride on my D407. Now, I can't say it was a nice ride on my car tire either, but still it can't be compared. The difference is like night and day, the D407 doesn't even come close to having the stability and the braking abilities my car tire has. Water is now a non-event for me.

Regards,

Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
Some people just do not like change. They need to read "Who Moved my Cheese".....
Change for its own sake is not always good, or even wise! Now cheese is quite another matter, having just enjoyed some for lunch.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got off the phone with GEICO, the girl did not know the answer so she put me on hold and had to ask. She came back and said "if it fits the bike and it was professionally installed it would NOT void your insurance to have a car tire on your bike.”

Take it for what it is worth.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

If a car tire would fit my old Ultra, I would "professionally install" one MYSELF and give it a good work out, just to see!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:33 PM
doyle2325
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
I bet Sniff and Scurry wouldn't have an issue with a CT.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Forty years ago we were running car tires on the back of our choppers on 5" rims. The original Boss Hoss's had car tires on the rear. Nothing new here...just the usual doubters.

Take a look at this motorcycle tire that needed to be replaced. The center is flat across from wear, yet the nubs and tread are still on the sides......It now looks just like a "car tire," except the center is void of tread. You have a lot more "contact patch" on a car tire than you ever had on a new motorcycle tire, even in turns, which you can clearly see in the videos posted earlier in this thread.

Attached Thumbnails Car tire ???-dscf1772.jpg  
Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Forty years ago we were running car tires on the back of our choppers on 5" rims. The original Boss Hoss's had car tires on the rear. Nothing new here...just the usual doubters.

Take a look at this motorcycle tire that needed to be replaced. The center is flat across from wear, yet the nubs and tread are still on the sides......It now looks just like a "car tire," except the center is void of tread. You have a lot more "contact patch" on a car tire than you ever had on a new motorcycle tire, even in turns, which you can clearly see in the videos posted earlier in this thread.
That tire was ridden with far too much air in it, or it would have worn evenly. Too much wear in center, too much air. Too much wear on outside edges, too little air. Simple as that.

Quick Reply: Car tire ???