Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tire ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maclugie
I always thought motorcycle tires were made from a lot softer rubber than a car tire to aid in traction. That's why they wear out faster. It's not that M/C tires are poor quality, it is just the opposite! Also, car tires are not made to ride on the sidewall effectively. You have got to lose performance going to a hard car tire. You probably won't find out until you push it to the edge. To each his own but I'll stick with M/C tires on my bike.
You and me both. I know a great deal about tires, I worked for GoodYear for nearly 8 years. The training we had to go through yearly taught us about the different types of rubber used in different applications. Rubber is not a universal product, the different compounds are extreme.

The good thing is that the MC's weigh so little. I think that is the saving grace, and keeps this from being a tragic story each time.

I just don't see why those who dare to use them have to defend and try to promote their use. More power to you, but the rest of us don't want or need to use car tires.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:43 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Those who've done it swear they won't go back to m/c tire. Have yet to hear from a nay-sayer who has done it, just negatives from those who HAVEN'T. Pretty compelling evidence. I'd try it if I had the wide swingarm.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:29 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maclugie
I always thought motorcycle tires were made from a lot softer rubber than a car tire to aid in traction. That's why they wear out faster. It's not that M/C tires are poor quality, it is just the opposite! Also, car tires are not made to ride on the sidewall effectively. You have got to lose performance going to a hard car tire. You probably won't find out until you push it to the edge. To each his own but I'll stick with M/C tires on my bike.
This has been proven time and time again to be false. CT's are made with a softer rubber compound than MT's which is why the MT's grab the road better giving the rider a better feeling of confidence that the stock MT's.

Now you can get some very soft MT's like they use on the super bikes but don't expect to get more that a few thousand miles out of 'em.

This thread is apparently for the naysayers and never-been-riding-on-a-car-tire group to vent and that's fine but remember; if you haven't tried it for at least 100 miles you really don't know what you're talking about. And I mean that in the nicest way. Do it then come back and make your claim so your opinion is valid. Otherwise you sound like those who claimed the earth was flat.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
Those who've done it swear they won't go back to m/c tire. Have yet to hear from a nay-sayer who has done it, just negatives from those who HAVEN'T. Pretty compelling evidence. I'd try it if I had the wide swingarm.
There are lots of things I haven't tried in my life. I reckon on continuing to do just that for a long time to come! Criticising people for not doing things that fly in the face of common sense is not a strong position to argue from.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:41 AM
bagger90
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
There are lots of things I haven't tried in my life. I reckon on continuing to do just that for a long time to come! Criticising people for not doing things that fly in the face of common sense is not a strong position to argue from.
I am really tired of hearing about this. I am the youngest of 7 Harley riding boys and have seen many CT's on many bikes and never once have I seen an incident because of a car tire being on a bike. Yes you would not want to stick one on your racing bike an hit a twistie at 100+ MPH, that is common sense. But they work great for touring bikes.Plenty of traction for puttin down the back roads.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by bagger90
I am really tired of hearing about this. I am the youngest of 7 Harley riding boys and have seen many CT's on many bikes and never once have I seen an incident because of a car tire being on a bike. Yes you would not want to stick one on your racing bike an hit a twistie at 100+ MPH, that is common sense. But they work great for touring bikes.Plenty of traction for puttin down the back roads.
I suspect you are in a small minority! It is the rest of us who are getting tired of all this .....

Old 07-29-2010, 06:05 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,164 Likes on 3,675 Posts

I say if you don't want to see the posts, Positive or negative, don't click on the little thingy there that says "Car tire". If we click on it then it means we want to read about it. No harm, no foul.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Over the last couple of years, this type of tire thread has become as ridiculous as oil threads...lol

Let's just settle it here:

Naysayers, dig, research, pry, bribe, anything you must to find links to negative testimony due to using a CT on an MC...then post the links here as your ammo for your position. This will at least give you "some" logical "proof" for a closed mind...lol

And, on the flip side:

Believers, do a quick search and post up links to the numerous positive testimonies regarding CT use on MC's.

Believers are a step ahead already, with some videos and a few CT users already chimed in. Like said already, if you haven't tried it, don't have any testimony, video or actual experience, dissin the idea won't fly.

LOL....Nuff said!

Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I say if you don't want to see the posts, Positive or negative, don't click on the little thingy there that says "Car tire". If we click on it then it means we want to read about it. No harm, no foul.

You mean... exercise ones ability to use personal discretion!?!?! Is that even legal nowadays? LOL

Old 07-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
Still think the sidewalls will flex, and the tread will stay groove side down?

Hows this pic?
Hmmm....

Quick Reply: Car tire ???