Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tire ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paragraphs are your friend.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lp
Yes, that paint scheme is History.

Just playin. Hell, I ride a Road glide. We know that thing is ugly!

lp
When I bought the bike new I was told the blue is a Duo Glide colour. I later added secondhand tourpak and batwing, neither of which were blue of any sort, so I mimicked Duos and painted the glass-fibre bits birch white. I still can't decide, after 20 years, what colour I might like to paint the whole thing!

We shipped this bike to the US in 2003, to take part in the Centenary celebrations and travelled 3,500 miles over there, even came across a genuine Duo Glide in similar colours. Unfortunately the owner didn't hang around long enough for us to get a photo of the two bikes together.

I just bought a secondhand Road Glide 6 gallon tank, in black. In the process of fitting it to my Glide, but waiting for a few bits to complete the job. So that will be another splash of colour to add to my rainbow palette....

Parked up in Milwaukee Aug 03 (second from right):

Attached Thumbnails Car tire ???-13_30aug_154-milwaukee-street_e.jpg  

Last edited by grbrown; 07-27-2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Added Photo
Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
I'm an engineer by degree and trade. I want to see data from a data acquisition system.
I'm also an engineer and am acutely aware that a feature of modern motorcycle tyres is that as they lean the tyre contact patch increases in area, rather than reduces! When my wife and I ride our fully loaded Glide on tour we nudge 1200 pounds. I like the idea of an increasing tyre contact patch as we lean into a bend, in the pouring rain....

Old 07-27-2010, 03:19 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still think the sidewalls will flex, and the tread will stay groove side down?

Hows this pic?

Last edited by RandyDowdy; 08-15-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
Still think the sidewalls will flex, and the tread will stay groove side down?

Hows this pic?
Looks like he's got a bit to much air pressure in that one. And of course anyone can lean it over till it scrapes but since he's doing it with a CT it should tell you he has confidence in that tire. Can't say that about stock tires; at least not on my bike(s).

Thanks for posting the pic. It illustrates just how good the CT is working and it clearly has a large contact patch. At least the same as a MT and maybe more.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks to me like he is riding on the shoulder of the tire. There is very little tread or grooves on the edge like that. Hope he doesn't hit any water!

Last edited by RandyDowdy; 07-27-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
Looks like he's got a bit to much air pressure in that one. And of course anyone can lean it over till it scrapes but since he's doing it with a CT it should tell you he has confidence in that tire. Can't say that about stock tires; at least not on my bike(s).

Thanks for posting the pic. It illustrates just how good the CT is working and it clearly has a large contact patch. At least the same as a MT and maybe more.
Bob,

I know you have a bee in your bonnet about CTs as you call them, and it may well be that the rider in that pic has confidence in his, but it shows him riding on the edge of the tyre with a reduced tyre contact patch, the complete opposite of a modern bike tyre.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always thought motorcycle tires were made from a lot softer rubber than a car tire to aid in traction. That's why they wear out faster. It's not that M/C tires are poor quality, it is just the opposite! Also, car tires are not made to ride on the sidewall effectively. You have got to lose performance going to a hard car tire. You probably won't find out until you push it to the edge. To each his own but I'll stick with M/C tires on my bike.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:33 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
What happens when ya total your bike, for whatever reason, with a car tire mounted on it? Will the insurance pay off, or claim it was the car tire that caused the problem, and kick ya to the curb with no $$$$$$? ..........I'm just betting you will be SOL big time!
Certainly a good question,one that can only be answered by an experince person who has been through an insurance claim like this.I doubt very much if the tires would even be noticed.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

People have posted several times that they contacted their insurance comapny and stated that it would not be a problem.

Quick Reply: Car tire ???