Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zion National Park Utah Road Construction/Closures ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 02:18 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Zion National Park Utah Road Construction/Closures ???

Have a ride from So Cal to Colorado Via Zion and Bryce coming up soon and I read online they are doing construction in that area and have road closures.

I went on the parks website and at first it said the roads were closed during the day but a later update said they switched it and the roads are only closed at night.

Anybody live near there or rode through there lately that can give me an update?

Orig Posting May 24th
http://www.nps.gov/zion/parkmgmt/road-construction.htm

Revised Posting June 22nd
http://www.nps.gov/zion/parknews/zio...n-schedule.htm

Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

We just rode through Zion about a week ago and the road was terrible. They are resurfacing and the pavement was all tore up.Made us mad because when we paid at the entrance nothing was posted or said about it.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:47 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read on the Zion web site that the road through the park was closed during the day. As a result, I changed my route from Las Vegas to Kanab, UT. Maybe they got so much negative feedback, they decided to reopen the road during the day, but leave the poor conditions (resurfacing, etc.) in place. I think I will continue my plan to avoid the park road.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:04 PM
TMair
Road Captain

If you do decide to blow off Zion, still go to the Bryce area, that is a great ride, there is a lot to see, one of my favorite rides is up through Red canyon, no fee there, then over to Tropic, and then Escalanty and down through the Grand staircase, and over the Boulder mountains, yo won't be dissapointed.
Terry

Old 07-09-2010, 11:24 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TMair, actually I won't have time for anything other than getting to Best Friend's Animal Sanctuary (of Dogtown fame) by 1:00 UT time. If I can manage this even with the route change, I will be happy. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 PM
2nd Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info!

We're headed that way in August and Zion was part of the route.

Time for a little adjustment

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
rabram
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was out that way the 2nd week in June & was told that we could wait until 4 pm ( it was about 10:30 am at the time ) & then we could go thru, did not wait & will hit it next year.
Also found the 4 corners closed .

Attached Thumbnails Zion National Park Utah Road Construction/Closures ???-road-trip060410-122.jpg  
Old 07-10-2010, 07:18 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Just back from the area, talked to a couple that said the same about the road into Zion, barely rideable, deep gouges etc.. I skipped Zion and hit Bryce,Bridges natl. monument & Grand Canyon Hwy 12 & 24 is stunning here's a couple pics also my sig pic is between Cedar City and Bryce. Every turn is pic quality

Attached Thumbnails Zion National Park Utah Road Construction/Closures ???-ut.-az-trip-10-030.jpg   Zion National Park Utah Road Construction/Closures ???-ut.-az-trip-10-070.jpg   Zion National Park Utah Road Construction/Closures ???-ut.-az-trip-10-031.jpg  
Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Everything you've heard is true. They were originally going to close the Zion/Mt Carmel road through the tunnel from 9-4, but the local business owners howled at that. Hotel bookings were off 60% at that news. So, they said they would leave the road open during the day and though it was more hazardous at night (falling rock a major concern) for the workers, they would do the work overnight.

That road is in serious need of rehabilitation. I ride it almost every month except in the summer time, and it was getting really bad. It is just one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. The road needs work, and there aren't any detours available.

There are lots and lots of good places to go, though Zion is among the most spectacular. I love Bryce Canyon, Cedar Mountain, Panguitch Lake, Otter Creek. Just today we rode up to Kolob Reservoir.

Attached Thumbnails Zion National Park Utah Road Construction/Closures ???-2006-05-30-009.jpg   Zion National Park Utah Road Construction/Closures ???-2006-05-30-024.jpg   Zion National Park Utah Road Construction/Closures ???-2006-05-30-032.jpg   Zion National Park Utah Road Construction/Closures ???-2006-05-30-047.jpg  
Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Im coming from California on the 15 north.

I was going to take the 9 through Zion to the 89 but If the roads are going to be that bad I think I might skip it?

What are your thoughts on going a little further up the 15 and using Hwy 14 through Cedar Canyon to get to the 89?

I will miss Zion but I will still be able to pass through Bryce and Escelante on my way up to the 70 to Colorado.

Appreciate the feedback!

Quick Reply: Zion National Park Utah Road Construction/Closures ???