Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Running Lean

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,776 Likes on 2,802 Posts
Default Bike Running Lean

Would anybody have a good way for me to know if my bike is running lean at idol? I have the option for the bike to shut down to one cylinder when idol and hot. When the ambient air is up around 90 and my bike is idol it is either running lean, or the one cylinder is shutting down like it should. However I don't see any indication that it shut down to one cylinder. How do I know if this is what my bike is doing, or if it is running lean? I looked into the Power Comander, and getting it tuned, but I don't want to spend that kind of money if all my bike is doing is shutting down to once cylinder like it should. You can definatly hear and feel the difference when it does it.

Thanks
Jay

Old 07-08-2010, 10:15 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to. 90 degrees ambient air and idling it doesn't take long at all for a stock bike to get hot and shut down to one cylinder.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamala00
Would anybody have a good way for me to know if my bike is running lean at idol?
Pull the spark plugs and check them, chances are, if you are factory, you are lean.

I don't see any indication that it shut down to one cylinder. How do I know if this is what my bike is doing, or if it is running lean?
There will not be a visual indication. You will here the engine deviate from the potato-potato-potato idle, plus you you may smell a difference in the exhaust.

I looked into the Power Comander, and getting it tuned, but I don't want to spend that kind of money if all my bike is doing is shutting down to once cylinder like it should.
Look at the Stage 1 from Fuel Moto, you have great customer support and your bike will be a lot happier. When it is hot out, try not to sit around and let the bike idle. Air flow across the engine is a good thing.

Cale

Old 07-08-2010, 10:21 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

If your bike is stock, Yeah it is running lean from the factory. All depends on outside temp, intown riding, etc, on how hot it gets. Kinda stinks, but all bikes run lean now from the factory thanks to EPA and Al Gore!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll probably get flamed for this. A Harley Tech (Whom, I respect) told me that They always look for discoloration (turning yellow) at the front of the mufflers as and indication that the bike is running lean. As for the heat management system, I turned Mine on and left it alone. It works when the computer tells it to. I figure that's a good thing. The only thing I did to help cool the engine is I added an oil cooler. Got 27K on my 08 ultra and am very satisifed with it.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:27 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,776 Likes on 2,802 Posts

I actually live right next to Jamie here at fuelmoto. I have the jackpots on my bike, and have changed it over to sythetic oils. I try not to let the bike sit when the temps are real hot. Jamie also said that it is probably running lean from the factory and that the PC-V and stage 1 aire cleaner would be a good thing to add. Maybe and oil cooler like mentioned would also be a good idea. It doesn't generally get to hot in WI, but seems hot enough..