Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between 4ohm and 2ohm speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
Just checked the ARC website and they say the 125.2 mini amp is stable to 2 ohms stereo. Is that the one you have?
Yes it is the one I have.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:16 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

That's dependent on the speakers. For your setup, you would want a 2 ohm speaker hooked to the left and right output on the amp. Otherwise, it would take 2 4ohm speakers wired in series to each output to get a 2 ohm load.
OK, so by going off of what I have.....

ARC mini amp
4 ohm Alpine speakers
Alpine IDA-X100

How should these speakers be wired?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

What do you have the gain set at on the amp?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:25 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
OK, so by going off of what I have.....

ARC mini amp
4 ohm Alpine speakers
Alpine IDA-X100

How should these speakers be wired?
The only way you can really (with 2 speakers) is straight up. One on the left and one on the right. Pingman might be on to something with his question about the gain control setting on the amp. Check to make sure it's not turned all the way down.

I have the ARC 6x9's in my dragonfly fairing which are rated at 4 ohms as well. I have to crank it up fairly high, but it is loud and clear.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 PM
PhatTerry
Banned

OK, so how do I know if it's running at 4ohm or 2 ohm?
The amp is 2ohm "stereo" stable. You really have no control on how you hook it up (in your setup). Your speakers spec's will determine the way it performs. Since your Alpine speakers are 4ohm, it will perform in 4ohm. If you plam tp purchase new J&M speakers, get the 2ohm J&M's so you get the maximum power the amp puts out.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
What do you have the gain set at on the amp?
Can't honestly say, but I know they are not turned down as I messed with them this past week after having a radio on/off problem. After I finished, it sounded a lot better at higher volumes.

The only way you can really (with 2 speakers) is straight up. One on the left and one on the right. Pingman might be on to something with his question about the gain control setting on the amp. Check to make sure it's not turned all the way down.

I have the ARC 6x9's in my dragonfly fairing which are rated at 4 ohms as well. I have to crank it up fairly high, but it is loud and clear.
I'm trying to get the full potential out of what I have, but I don't have a problem with purchasing different speakers if it will sound better. Question is, do I need to purchase different speakers? Different as in ohms? Do I need 2 ohm speakers?

Am I correct in saying that in order to get the ARC amp to put out 2 ohms, it has to be bridged? Is bridging an amp what makes it 2 ohm or 4 ohms?

As you can tell, I don't know the technical side of this, but I'd like to learn!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PhatTerry
The amp is 2ohm "stereo" stable. You really have no control on how you hook it up (in your setup). Your speakers spec's will determine the way it performs. Since your Alpine speakers are 4ohm, it will perform in 4ohm. If you plam tp purchase new J&M speakers, get the 2ohm J&M's so you get the maximum power the amp puts out.
So if I do go with the J&M 2 ohms speakers, will it sound different? Will I still have to turn the head unit up to 3/4 to get loud and clear?

Also, so whether I have 2 or 4 ohm speakers, they will hook up the same way to the amp? A (+) and (-) for each speaker?

Last edited by r8rs4lf; 07-08-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bridging is actually getting a 2 channel (left and right or stereo) amp like this one to do mono or 1 channel output. You take the speaker wire (from one or more speakers), twist the positives together and the negatives together, then hook the positive bundle up to the left positive post and the negative bundle up to the right negative post. This will take a set of 4 ohm speakers and make the amp see them as a single 2 ohm and double the power output. Kicker is it's only mono, not stereo.

You could get the same results (2 ohm output only in stereo) with 2 2 ohm speakers hooked up just like the 4 ohm ones were and maximize the output of the amp. You just need to be careful that the speakers can handle the 2 ohm output of the amp. 125-150 watts in this case.

The J&M 2 ohms "should" be louder relative to the Alpines since they are only putting 2 ohms on the amp instead of 4 which should take advantage of the full power of the amp.

Gotta run take the family for frozen yogurt. Back in a few.

Last edited by 07RoadHawg; 07-08-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:52 PM
PhatTerry
Banned

So if I do go with the J&M 2 ohms speakers, will it sound different? Will I still have to turn the head unit up to 3/4 to get loud and clear?

Also, so whether I have 2 or 4 ohm speakers, they will hook up the same way to the amp? A (+) and (-) for each speaker?
Hard to say, speaker sensitivity plays just of a large role in overall volume output. A speaker that is more sensitive than another will play louder all else being equal.

Yes, you would hook both speakers up as normal as you mentioned.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PhatTerry
Hard to say, speaker sensitivity plays just of a large role in overall volume output. A speaker that is more sensitive than another will play louder all else being equal.

Yes, you would hook both speakers up as normal as you mentioned.
With 2ohm speakers there should be a noticeable difference though right?

Bridging is actually getting a 2 channel (left and right or stereo) amp like this one to do mono or 1 channel output. You take the speaker wire (from one or more speakers), twist the positives together and the negatives together, then hook the positive bundle up to the left positive post and the negative bundle up to the right negative post. This will take a set of 4 ohm speakers and make the amp see them as a single 2 ohm and double the power output. Kicker is it's only mono, not stereo.

You could get the same results (2 ohm output only in stereo) with 2 2 ohm speakers hooked up just like the 4 ohm ones were and maximize the output of the amp. You just need to be careful that the speakers can handle the 2 ohm output of the amp. 125-150 watts in this case.

The J&M 2 ohms "should" be louder relative to the Alpines since they are only putting 2 ohms on the amp instead of 4 which should take advantage of the full power of the amp.

Gotta run take the family for frozen yogurt. Back in a few.
This post is extremely helpful in understanding things in english. So to make things easier, I just need to purchase some 2ohm speakers that can handle the wattage output of the amp @ 2ohms correct?

Quick Reply: Difference between 4ohm and 2ohm speakers?