Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vac michigan and wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
davep
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vac michigan and wisconsin

I'm will be traveling from Illinois thru wisc going to the upper penn of michigan. I notice there is a ferry that crosses the lake from wisc to mich. Is it better to ride all around the lake to the upper penn or take the ferry to mich and then ride to the upper penn from west coast of mich. Thanks for your infor.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM
tcfamy
Cruiser

Dave,
The ride thru WI is one of the best in the mdi-west. If you can make it to Milwaukee or Manitowoc for the ferry, you have already traveled through or around the worst part (Chicago). From there norh it's a fine ride. Nothing wrong with the Michigan run, but you can save the time and fare for riding. Both ferries are comfortable. I have often taken the Manitowoc to Ludington ferry when heading East to avoid Chicago or for making the loop around Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. Take care either way and smooth riding.--- Tom

Old 07-08-2010, 02:22 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave,
What Tom said. Depending on time and where you are coming in from Illinois, the Kettle Moraine is a great ride. You can pretty much ride through the area up to the bottom of Lake Winnebago, then head north up either side of the lake. Once you're through Chicago, the next biggest city will be Milwaukee, it just keeps thinning out as you go north, the farther north the more beautiful in my opinion. Because of this I highly recommend the ride through the UP instead of the ferry. One note, the joke of the weather up here is, if you don't like it, just wait, it will change in a few minutes. This can be so true and even this time of year nights in the UP can get downright cold, especially on a bike, so plan for it even if it never happens. Other than that, you are in for a really nice and beautiful ride, plus I've found very few places in my 5 years in this state that are not "biker friendly".

Old 07-08-2010, 02:35 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

It all depends on what you want to do on your trip.
My wife and I spent a week just riding across the Wisconsin border of the U.P. then up the Keweenaw Peninsula and along the shore of Lake Superior a bit (Munising or Ishpeming) then cut across to Escanaba. We did a lot of site seeing, shopping, tourist stuff and local activities.
I have also ridden completely around Lake Michigan over a weekend. Up on Saturday back down on Sunday. (I think it could be an Iron Butt under 24 hour ride).

Here is a link you may find useful.
http://www.upcruising.com/upbikeweek.htm

Last edited by piasspj; 07-08-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davep
I'm will be traveling from Illinois thru wisc going to the upper penn of michigan. I notice there is a ferry that crosses the lake from wisc to mich. Is it better to ride all around the lake to the upper penn or take the ferry to mich and then ride to the upper penn from west coast of mich. Thanks for your infor.
You're almost there when you're in Manitowoc where the ferry crosses over... It's only another 2 1/2 hour drive north from there. It takes 5 hours just to cross the lake on the ferry. If you plan on going up to the UP from Wisconsin then and crossing the straits of Mackinack into Michigan and then going back down through Michigan you'll be going across one of the longest suspension bridges in North America.... THE MIGHTY MAC. You might want to check it out and see if you want to cross that on your bike..... Just sayin as they repair the outer lanes of the bridge in the summer time and you have to travel the inner lanes, which are steel grate. And.. as this picture shows... there aint no center divider.

Attached Thumbnails vac michigan and wisconsin-onbridge2004.jpg  

Last edited by Harley_RN; 07-08-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Dougger
Cruiser

Ride, unless you want to ride an old coal fired ferry, ride the bike. It is a nice comfortable trip

Old 07-08-2010, 05:00 PM
mtinner
Road Master

There's a route up the center of Wisconson and I'm not sure what it is. I'd find that and forget about going thru the cities. There's plenty of places to stop before you get to the UP. Once there, take that great ride east along the shoreline of the lake. And then, you can make the decision to cross that damn bridge. Good luck

Old 07-08-2010, 05:01 PM
JSwan
6th Gear

I would make the ride and forget the Ferry. The trip is beautiful!! I would not ride around dusk, the are a lot of deer in the UP. Then you get the opportunity of going over the Machinaw Bridge on your way home. You will love it!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 PM
true duals
Advanced

I have lived in michigan 43 of my 47 years on this earth and love all there is to see and do around the great lakes its beautiful! I say ride the whole trip thats what you have the bike for right? I also read about a really great ride that takes you back in time a bit around a place called the sunset coast north of Green Bay you may want to check it out. be safe and enjoy every mile

Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 PM
ronljn
Novice

You don't say if you are starting in the western or eastern part of Wisconsin.
If you are starting out from Iowa, their are some great rides through South Western Wisconsin. For more some routes, check out an article in last Sundays (July 3) Milwaukee Journal.
As far as riding or taking the ferry, RIDE. It's a great trip if you skip the interstate and get lost ??? on the back roads.
Good luck and have a great time.

Quick Reply: vac michigan and wisconsin