Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outer Banks Day Trip Suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Outer Banks Day Trip Suggestions???

I'm riding from Atlanta to Sandbridge Beach, VA via the Outer Banks in a couple of weeks. The OBX part of my trip will consist of basically just riding up from Cedar Island to Kitty Hawk using the ferries.

I've made a ferry reservation on the Cedar Point to Ocracoke ferry, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Looking for suggestions on good beach viewing roads, what to stop and see, have lunch, etc. Last year I rode down to Kitty Hawk from Sandbridge and visited the museum.

I'll bring tie downs for the ferries.

Any advice/suggestions are welcome.

TIA.

Carl

Old 07-08-2010, 10:21 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't much matter as its all good. Like any resort area I would try to avoid it on the weekends.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM
FLHXterp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The beach road is good with decent ocean views but kinda slow (30 mph). The bypass is just a standard straight highway with a ton of lights. It's a cool trip to take the causeway bridge from Nags Head over to Wanchese (boat builders, seafood processing) and Manteo (touristy but pretty neat). Avoid going north of Kill Devil Hills on Saturday and Sunday; if you stay south of that you're good for traffic.

As far as food goes - Outer Banks Brewing Station has great food and great beer (it's on the bypass around MP8). Awful Arthur's on the beach road MP6.5 is always good (sit at the bar, avoid the wait). Tortuga's Lie on the beach road MP11 also has great food with a Carribean twist.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with the advice about avoiding weenends north of Nags head. I enjoyed Jockey's Ridge State park watching the hang gliders, went to Corolla for the wild horses and Duck. Oregon inlet to see the fishing fleet. Lots of great seafood places there and lots of tourist traps too like any beach town.

Enjoy the ride

Old 07-08-2010, 03:47 PM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Subscribing

We head out 8/7 thru 8/17

Old 07-08-2010, 03:59 PM
whodares
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Harleypingman,

You are in for a nice ride. When you get on ocracoke, ride up the road until you get to the "village". Lots of great restaurants and stuff there (Howard's is really good). There is basically a single road throughout the entire outerbanks area (Hwy 12) especially when you are out on hatteras island and ocracoke, and there are places you can see both the sound and the ocean from the road (very thin!).

Head from ocracoke over the ferry to buxton, and be sure and stop at "Pops" in Buxton...best hamburgers on the beach, super cold beer and very biker friendly. You can also stop and see the hatteras lighthouse in Buxton.

Heading north out of Buxton, you'll come into Avon....right before avon proper, you'll see "Canadian Hole" on your left (can't miss it, you'll see the cars and windsurfers and kite-boarders). If you are here around sunset you will see one of the best sunsets of your life. Also lots of good restaurants in Avon. Keep heading north and you'll cross through rodanthe, salvo, waves, with much of the same. You can see some nice views at Oregon Inlet once you get off of Hatteras Island.

You can pretty much take 12 all the way through into Nags Head \ Kitty Hawk.

That's an awesome ride!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

THANKS!!!

I appreciate all the good advice and suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

I've planned to do this OBX ride for a couple of years and always had something come up that prevented me from going the long way from Atlanta to Sandbridge. I'll take some pics and post.

Thanks, again.

Carl