Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshields

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 03:51 PM
HDUltraRider
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been very happy with my clearview with the recurve

Old 07-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

LRS 8" xtreme all the way!!!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Willy G.
Road Captain

Clearview 8" recurve works for me.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding Freedom Shields (www.freedomshields.com) -

I have the 9", dark tint with recurve (they call it "AirCurve").

Immediately upon removal from the box (which was well packed to protect the shield), you can tell this shield is more substantial. It's made of a thicker material than stock or the other replacements I have seen. Also, while stock and other shields taper to a narrower width as they rise from the fairing; the Freedom Shield tapers at a much lesser rate, leaving a wider shield at the top. Both the thicker material and wider top makes the shield stronger; and the wider top, along with the recurve, provides an improved rider pocket by deflecting more of the air flow.

While not functional, the polished edges further add to the high quality look of the shield. That was my one complaint about Clearview - just didn't look right with the raw edges - never did the polishing there, but nicely taken care of at Freedom Shields.

The dark tint and recurve do not appear to distort vision at all - though I wouldn't recommend the dark tint if you get a taller shield you'll be looking thru all the time.

I think it's the best choice for comfort and affordability.

JMHO

Old 07-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

Lrs

Last edited by Phat09flhx; 07-14-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:57 PM
isac
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is another vote for LRS

Old 07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
kingcobra
Advanced

Bogie do you have any pictures of that shield on your bike. seriously considering it. thanks

Old 07-21-2010, 12:46 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I was able to get 500 miles behind the Freedom Shield in the last week... so here's a follow up...

The fit in the batwing fairing is excellent. Each side of the shield matches the cut of the fairing perfectly. When installed, I sprayed some cleaner on to remove fingerprints, etc. As I was wiping it off, the shield was solid behind the towel - rather than flexing as other shields can do - obviously a result of the thicker material and wider top, as mentioned in the previous post.

Even though this shield is 1/2" shorter than my previous recurved shield, it provides a better rider pocket - which must be due to the combination of the wider top and the “Air Curve” design. I became very conscious of air flow and noise while riding a Road Glide FLHTRX for 2 weeks - this is the model with effectively no windshield (just a little stub that doesn't even rise above the radio mount). Blasting my face and a noise so loud in my ears I couldn't hear the radio... I was very happy to get behind my previous shield as I picked up my bike from service. So much less wind and noise. Then, after installing the Freedom Shield, it was even better - about the same amount of wind feeling at the top of my head as the previous shield, BUT - a lot less turbulence around my ears, therefore, less noise in the ears... And, in a very rare occasion, my lady was riding on the pillion yesterday (taking her to pick up her ride from service) – she is fairly tall and her eyes are just about able to see over my head from the back seat…she said the wind was no issue and was very comfortable with the sound level, it was easy to converse.

While back at the dealer to pick up my lady's ride - the owner was out talking with us and the polished edge of the shield caught his eye. He asked what I had done - told him about Freedom Shields - he was impressed enough with the fit and finish he is going to call to become a distributor. I think that says a lot - he's been in the business for a long time, seen lots of products and is impressed enough to call.

I like the Freedom Shield for all aspects of it – function, quality, clarity, appearance and value.

And John @ Freedom Shields is a great guy - tell him bogie sent you...

Sorry for the delay on the pictures...
The two closeups show the wider top on each side. I laid my previous CV shield on the Freedom Shield. The pictures are darkest where the shield overlap, obviously. So you can see the extra material of the Freedom Shield quite clearly. The other 3 shots are just different angles...

Currently there seems to be some issue with the .com internet address resolving to the correct page - so be sure to use the .net address instead www.freedomshields.net

Respectfully,

-bogie

Attached Thumbnails windshields-freedom-shield-l-.jpg   windshields-freedom-shield-r-.jpg   windshields-freedom-shield-1-.jpg   windshields-freedom-shield-2-.jpg   windshields-freedom-shield-3-.jpg  

Last edited by bogiediver; 07-21-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typo - :^(
Old 07-21-2010, 05:04 PM
kingcobra
Advanced

thanks bogie

Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 PM
firebrick
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BillyG0856
I have this windshield....Clark's Custom FLHT 12" Flat Top....bronze in tint. Best part about it is GF said that the ride improved 200% behind me. She said it really stopped the wind from whipping around me. I'd thought about a shorter one...looking over rather than thru; changed my mind after having an 8" Clearview. My only complaint is at night, the tint makes it like a pair of sunglasses. A plus with the bronze tint is oncoming headlight glare is not nearly as bad.

Just my .02 worth...

Billy G
ditto X 10. never looked through a shield till I got my clark. It is just a new world of happiness with it. Thought about getting one I could look over, just to try it, since the price is reasonable. My old narrow shields seem soooo small now.

Quick Reply: windshields