Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Rack Weight Limit? Storage? Should I Buy One?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tour Pack Rack Weight Limit? Storage? Should I Buy One?

Debating buying a King or Chopped Tour Pack for my Streetglide but concerned It might actually cause me to loose some storage space on long trips.

Right now I use a Large Nelson Rigg Bag and am able to put tons of stuff in it on my luggage rack. In order to equal that storage capacity Id have to buy a bag that fits in the tour pack and another one that straps on top to the tour pack rack and Im worried about all the weight on that plastic lid.

I always laugh at the 10lb weight limit listed on my steel luggage rack BUT Im a little worried about the limit on the tour pack because all the weight is sitting on that plastic lid. Im also worried about all that weight being up so high affecting the center of gravity.

Any thoughts from my fellow tourers with more experience than me?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:02 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I did nearly 3,000 miles with a T-Bags Dakota strapped to my rack last month. Had to have at least 25 pounds in the thing, probably more. No issues with the rack, the tour pack, or the handling.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:10 PM
piggy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a Tour pack on my road glide, and rack. Bag on rack hadda weigh 25 lbs, no issues at all over 6,000 miles, I did place larger washers on the Upper and inside tour pack for the Rack. was reccomended by a friend who's been there.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:16 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by piggy
I put a Tour pack on my road glide, and rack. Bag on rack hadda weigh 25 lbs, no issues at all over 6,000 miles, I did place larger washers on the Upper and inside tour pack for the Rack. was reccomended by a friend who's been there.
So washers on both sides inside and out? That would make sense to distribute the weight more even but does it look ok with the washers on top?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:28 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done many trips with a tour-pac w/rack. Never a problem hauling enough for both my wife and myself for a week.

Attached Thumbnails Tour Pack Rack Weight Limit? Storage? Should I Buy One?-random-010.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 09:18 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some washers that were advertised in a previous post available on E-Bay. Search Tour Pack and I am sure you will find them. I passed and use descretion on what I would put on the rack so am not concerned. I would only put light items on the rack... but I know the Tour Pack carries a 12 pack with no issues. Companies by Tort Necessity always put limits on the low side.