Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average pcv mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Average pcv mileage

Does 36mpg sound ok for a 2010 RGC with a/c pcv from Fuel Moto cat cut out and nightstick slipon?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:44 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default is that one 1 tank?

36 MPG does seem low, but if you are like the rest of us, when you first get the PCV, your gas mileage seems to go down because of the smile associated with twisting the throttle.

Run a couple of tanks through to see if its smile related. If not you can ask FM to lean out the map for you.

I have a 2010 FLHX with the PCV and AT and get about 40-41 MPG.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:40 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

It's not a matter of the PCV producing reduced mileage, as it is only doing what the map is telling it to do. If you don't like the mileage you can lean out the cruise range, which will help, as Fuel Moto's maps tend to be a bit on the rich side to promote cooling. I've been able to get my mileage up near stock while cruising, as long as I keep the throttle-twisting to a minimum. There are side-effects to doing this, like heat, so whatever direction you go there are compromises.

I would say that 36mpg is not low if you are checking it in city riding. I'm at that point and I've been tweaking mine for months, but if you are in this range while riding on the highway, particularly at slower speeds (e.g. 55-60mph), you are much lower than you should be. I can get 48-49mpg on the backroads with E10 gas as long as I keep a steady speed.

Last edited by iclick; 07-08-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,095 Likes on 352 Posts

I don't have a PCV, but a PCIII, but when I got it from Fule-Moto with their map, I was getting around 36 or so. Bike ran great as one would expect, but it was a bit to rich. It would actually sputter out some carbon in the driveway at idle. I guess I didn't hammer it enough to blow it out.

But, good 'ol iclick above sent me one of his maps, same performance and increased mileage, I'm getting around 42'43 around town, and on a nice long hwy ride around 48/49.

Thanks iclick, still runnin' your map. Been about two yrs or so now.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:57 AM
WI Bob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a similar system to Iclick and agree with him.

My early mileage was in the mid 30 range and I have leaned out the cruising range lately.
Back and forth to work at 70MPH nets around 41 MPG.

Do note that if I ride it like it stolen in town, I can get into the 20s.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by glebo
I don't have a PCV, but a PCIII, but when I got it from Fule-Moto with their map, I was getting around 36 or so. Bike ran great as one would expect, but it was a bit to rich. It would actually sputter out some carbon in the driveway at idle. I guess I didn't hammer it enough to blow it out.

But, good 'ol iclick above sent me one of his maps, same performance and increased mileage, I'm getting around 42'43 around town, and on a nice long hwy ride around 48/49.

Thanks iclick, still runnin' your map. Been about two yrs or so now.
Glad it helped, and I wish I could get 42-43mpg in city riding like you are, as I'm usually in the mid-to-upper-30's. The E10 gas that we have in this area is not helping in this regard.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:33 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by WI Bob
I run a similar system to Iclick and agree with him.

My early mileage was in the mid 30 range and I have leaned out the cruising range lately.
Back and forth to work at 70MPH nets around 41 MPG.

Do note that if I ride it like it stolen in town, I can get into the 20s.
My mileage varies as much as 15mpg between city and highway, and although I'm happy with highway mileage I've tried everything to get city mileage higher, but so far in vain.

If anyone is interested I did a long-winded write-up on getting better mileage with the PCV with Auto-Tune using the map switch function here. Using a switch with the PCV without AT can achieve the same result, but it works a bit different. Whereas AT toggles between "learning mode" (AT) and the base map, the PCV alone does so between two distinctly different maps. You can have a lean map for most of your riding and switch to a richer version (e.g. Fuel Moto's map) to cool things down when needed. I've found this to be an excellent solution, as you can have your cake (good mileage) and eat it too (cooling on demand).

Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride a 09 RKC around the city and blow downtown which is a 70 mph 20 mile trip on the free way. The avg MPG is some 35 - 36 MPG which falls right in with the estimate for city driving. The guys who claim 50 or more mpg are riding strictly freeway miles and not much slowing down or speeding up, imho, in other words they can approach or hit the estimate for highway driving which is 54 MPG. I call 36 mpg good city mpg.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
I ride a 09 RKC around the city and blow downtown which is a 70 mph 20 mile trip on the free way. The avg MPG is some 35 - 36 MPG which falls right in with the estimate for city driving. The guys who claim 50 or more mpg are riding strictly freeway miles and not much slowing down or speeding up, imho, in other words they can approach or hit the estimate for highway driving which is 54 MPG. I call 36 mpg good city mpg.
I'm beginning to think in terms of 36mpg as "good city mileage," as I don't know what else to do to improve it. I could lean it a bit more in the transitions (i.e. 20-60% throttle positions), but that leads to a slightly flat feel at roll-on that produces a four-barrel-carb effect when it hits the richer TP's from 80% on up. I don't mind that too much, but if I'm rolling on I'm going to do it until I'm getting the acceleration I need anyway, so I'm not sure this will help mileage.

BTW, I couldn't get 54mpg on my bike unless I was going downhill with a strong tailwind for the entire ride. There's just no way. My best is 50.5mpg for one tank in the Texas Hill Country, and although it has hit 50mpg a few times in the past I haven't been able to get quite that high locally with the E10 gas they've been selling here for the past 18 months. As for the factory gas-mileage claim, I think my '07 is rated more realistically below that anyway and the 54mpg claim started in '08.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:57 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Yada Yada ...

BTW, I couldn't get 54mpg on my bike unless I was going downhill with a strong tailwind for the entire ride. There's just no way. My best is 50.5mpg for one tank in the Texas Hill Country, and although it has hit 50mpg a few times in the past I haven't been able to get quite that high locally with the E10 gas they've been selling here for the past 18 months. As for the factory gas-mileage claim, I think my '07 is rated more realistically below that anyway and the 54mpg claim started in '08.
That's why I said those who claim to get 50 or more mpg ... That is my way of expressing doubt as to the veracity. Besides, there are guys who like to quote stats as if they were relevant. But I believe in riding the heck out of that steed and I'll let the statisticians compare their data sheets. Just like some guys compare stereo components or video stuff on paper. I use the stuff and decide rather than going to that extreme. It's better hands-on. So is sex. They ought to try it, too.

Last edited by BigGdawg; 07-08-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Average pcv mileage