Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Buffeting

Stoopit question, but..on the full-fairing bikes, is there any head buffeting? My Dyna has some with a windshield. Just wondering because it is annoying.

I had a Beemer with a full Wynjammer fairing and as I recall, I had no buffeting at all and could ride in any weather in comfort. That is what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance from a Dyna rider...

Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 PM
wrongway2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have less buffeting on my ultra that I had on 2 previous goldwings.

Your buffeting now is probably a combination of a high windshielf and now lowers which is forcing the air up under the tank and into your face.
Go for a ride and when the buffeting starts, just hold your arm horizontaly across your chest. If the buffeting goes away then the lack of lowers is why.

Anyway, to answer your question, after 5,000 miles since I got my ultra and with speeds up to 80mph, buffeting is a non issue for me. I'm 5'8" and have cut down the stock windshield by 3".

Last edited by wrongway2; 07-07-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: to add my height and windshield height
Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

The windshield height still comes into play on the full fairing bikes. Wrong windshield height and you will get buffeting. But, the problem is easily remedied by cutting down the stock windshield or buying a different height. I'm 6' and ride a 2010 EGC and have no buffeting at all with the stock windshield.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 PM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a fairing but I put on the fork mounted air deflectors when traveling long distance with the windshield on. They help a lot. I am not sure if they make them for your bike or not. Since I read on here all the time, I can tell you that the fairing owners that have the buffeting end up buying lowers, or taller windshields, some claim the fork air baffle helps, and some buy different seats to lower or raise the sitting position. There are Street Glide threads about using the fork mounted air deflectors. Some folks claim to never feel the buffeting. Some just buy a motorcylce and ride in the car.

you could always remove the winshield.....no buffeting then

Old 07-07-2010, 01:21 PM
audettd
Tourer

I'm fine with what I have ...stock windshield on 09 EGC...no buffeting

Old 07-07-2010, 01:53 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Years ago, early '80's I think, some motorcycle mag did windtunnel tests on the available fairings on the market, to include Harley Davidsons FLH "batwing", FLT and the FXRT/P fairing. The tests showed that the "batwing" was the most inefficient of the bunch and the FLT and FXRT/P was right up there with WindJammer for cutting through the air.
I've been riding batwing fairings for about 3 decades and love them. I don't go fast enough on the street to really care about efficiency. And they look good, too.
And yes, in certain wind directions and speeds, I get buffeting from time to time.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 PM
oldandbusted
Advanced

In my experience a shield that is the correct size for your height cuts down on the buffeting a great deal

Old 07-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Iron Aces
Cruiser

I think it really depends on the height of the rider, type of windshield as well as what you consider to be an acceptable amount of buffeting. I'm short (5'4") and had a TON of buffeting on my Street Glide when I had the 6" stock Harley windshield. When I upgraded to the Klock Werks 6.5" FLARE the buffeting virtually disappeared. I say virtually because there's more than likely always going to be some buffeting.

That's my two cents anyway...

Lindsey :0)

Attached Thumbnails Buffeting-iron-aces_horse-head_100x100pix.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 02:12 PM
vmipat
Stage II

Since most buffeting is a result of the air being sucked down over the windhield because of negative pressure, has anyone installed a windshield vent? I have one on my Goldwing and although I dont feel the need on my 07 Ultra, just thinking I might add one to cope with the heat in the summer.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:23 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Buffeting on Street Glides and Road Glides is a huge problem for some. After numerous windshields and other things I've found peace behind the fairing...

Quick Reply: Buffeting