Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:46 PM
BamaVan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK for starters the bike 2007 had Rush tru duals on it when I purchased it. The stock cans will not work as the left stock muffler is for show not a truly functional muffler, besides stock ain't exactly quiet. I have never seen a bike with V&H or Rush mufflers that I would consider Quiet.
If a 1800cc gold wing or even a 6.0 ltr truck engine can run down the road without having to listen to the popping sound of a engine, I am sure a little ol 96 CI engine can be quietened down.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Default re

I have some SE slipons with cats in them I will sell you, they are quiet.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 PM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A set of 4" CVO mufflers from a 09 or 10 will be the quietest,previous years are good but you have to remove the cats in the inlets.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:11 PM
tatertot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by supercrewser
UHHHHH my 1.75 RUSH mufflers are way louder than the stock ones.
As are mine..looking to quiet them down..going with Fuel Moto's quiet baffle.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Reverend
Tourer

Originally Posted by BamaVan
OK for starters the bike 2007 had Rush tru duals on it when I purchased it. The stock cans will not work as the left stock muffler is for show not a truly functional muffler, besides stock ain't exactly quiet. I have never seen a bike with V&H or Rush mufflers that I would consider Quiet.
If a 1800cc gold wing or even a 6.0 ltr truck engine can run down the road without having to listen to the popping sound of a engine, I am sure a little ol 96 CI engine can be quietened down.
Firstly, anything with a watercooled engine is always going to be quieter as the water jacket acts as a muffler on all the engine sound, so there's no comparison there.

Secondly, you simply won't find anything commercially available that will be quieter than stock. If the MoCo spend millions on emissions testing to suit Global markets, you ain't got a chance!!

It's not simply exhaust sound, it's a combination of induction roar from a freer flowing air filter, tyre noise and any modifications to mufflers and pipes.

Sadly, I think your options are thus:

~ Return all induction / exhaust components back to factory spec, or

~ Try wearing in-ear plugs & a good over ear helmet, or

~ Chop the bike in for a Goldwing.

Good Luck!!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:33 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the left muffler is a truly functional muffler, just more restricted, right? I know mine had exhaust comming out of it before I took the stockers off. Wouldn't that serve to make it quieter? Maybe you should look for 2 left stock mufflers. Correct me if I'm wrong but just sayin.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SG 1
I think the left muffler is a truly functional muffler, just more restricted, right? I know mine had exhaust comming out of it before I took the stockers off. Wouldn't that serve to make it quieter? Maybe you should look for 2 left stock mufflers. Correct me if I'm wrong but just sayin.
Left and right stock mufflers are totally different and you can't switch sides,the CVO mufflers are the same left or right makes no difference.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Default re

Yeah they have that big offset that looks like a dent, if you swapped it would look just like you had a huge dent in your pipe.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:47 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xdanman
Yeah they have that big offset that looks like a dent, if you swapped it would look just like you had a huge dent in your pipe.
Oh yeah, I think I remember that now. I still have em but I'm not gonna dig em out to look. Now I know how to tell which one is which if I ever want to put the bike back to stock, you know, like if I was gonna sell or trade.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:00 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

First off True duals add to the loudness of the bike, the crossover that is present stock is there to lower db's. Secondly if you would like to have the same sized mufflers hanging on your bike as a pickup truck go ahead and mount 'em. Third the GW has 6 water cooled 180 degree opposed 300cc cylinders that fire alternately during the revolutions of the engine and a HD big twin has 2 aircooled 45 degree opposed 800cc cylinders firing alternately during same revolution, different exhaust pulsing completely and the GW mufflers start under the engine and end well past the rear tire. So the current HD vtwin will never be quiet like the GW is, just the way it is.

Quick Reply: Another Exhaust Question