Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Step down form Ultra to RK, mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Step down form Ultra to RK, mistake?

Rented an 09 Road king on my vacation and liked the handling much better than my 08
ultra classic. Could it be that it is the new frame that made the ride feel much nicer
or was it the fact that the road king is a much nimbler bike since it does not have the fairing and addtional weight? I feel like stepping down to a 2010 road king but I am conderned that I might regret it. What do you guys think

Old 07-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 219 Posts

Like you said, probably a combination of the new frame and less weight, no tour-pak. I wouldn't consider it a "step down" at all, more of a lateral move.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you don't need or want the additional stuff that comes with the Ultra then a move to a RK just might make you happier in the long run.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 AM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts
Thumbs up

Road King is a great looking bike. I love the nostalgic look, but for me, the Electra Glides are the only way to go. Maybe you should look kinto a Street Glide. Has all the amenities of a EG, but a little more sporty. I own an EG standard and love it. You get the best of both worlds. Unfortunately I hear they stopped making these for 2010. Good luck with your decision. Ride safe!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some may say it's a step up. I rented an Ultra and although it's a great bike, I can't imagine short hops in and around town everyday.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm thinking maybe doing the same. I bought the Ultra for the comfort and storage riding two up. Now my wife has her own bike and I want a sportier look. I've always thought the RK was the best bike for the money. Just don't want to deal with spoke rims anymore.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe the new frame makes a difference to you but for me just making the Tour Pak detachable made a big difference in handling. I just put it on when needed now. I wouldn't like being without the radio after getting used to it.

I also installed a rear stabilizer which many say helps with the handling. I also rode a 2010 and didn't see much difference.

I don't see how a Road King is any different for riding around town than any other touring bike.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Fathead2003
Tourer

Both are great bikes and have +& - points. I my self bought a bare naked 03 EG Standard and have had a blast adding stuff to it during the years. Several Road King lady passengers comment on the thickness of my EG seat vs RK seat. Also the fairing provides extra protection/warmth to your hands if you do alot of cold weather riding. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 AM
stamper5498
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Went from an 07 ultra to an 09 SG. Do not regret it at all. It was an adjustment getting used to the stiffer ride, but much easier to handle, sportier looking and what I call an overall good move.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 AM
cjairplane
Cruiser

I absolutely love mine. I don't think you'll find many folks out there who would say otherwise. Obviously the Ultra has more amenities, but they're not for me. Rode to work today with the King TourPak off and the windshield off, iPod in my ears....what a great way to start the day. Over the weekend I had the goodies back on and put 250+ miles on with the wife on back. We didn't want to stop. What a great bike!

Quick Reply: Step down form Ultra to RK, mistake?