Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Step down form Ultra to RK, mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 AM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would bet the new frame has alot to do with it...also just less mass of a bike. I have a 2010 Street Glide and i can't believe how easily i throw around an 800 pound bike. The handling is great. Might be a good option for you. you still get the fairing and radio like the ultra...but a little more sporty/ stripped down..and if you find you really miss the tour pack and lowers you can just add on.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I would have suggested the FLHX but since the OP was only asking about the Ultra to RK I didn't but I would suggest looking at the Street Glide as it's the best of both worlds to me....Still have a fairing with radio but can be easily upgraded with a tourpak if you still need more storage but is still nimble around town and I being in Utah prefer a fairing over just a shield for our cold weather riding! I get about two more months of riding in with a fairing over just shield (one month of each end of the ride-able season)

Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cjairplane
I absolutely love mine. I don't think you'll find many folks out there who would say otherwise. Obviously the Ultra has more amenities, but they're not for me. Rode to work today with the King TourPak off and the windshield off, iPod in my ears....what a great way to start the day. Over the weekend I had the goodies back on and put 250+ miles on with the wife on back. We didn't want to stop. What a great bike!
Agreed...the king is such a versatile bike its like having 3 bikes in one...can't go wrong with a king

Old 07-06-2010, 11:07 AM
klap
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 122 Posts

..simple..it's because of the frame change in 09..you've got an 08..

Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my SG and it is a suggestion, but I do think the RK has more of a plush ride than the SG. I still would not trade my SG for a RK. Or any other bike for that matter.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I consider the Road King the 911 to the Ultra's Cayenne! They're both great, but they do things a little differently.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

You can't do this with an Ultra

Old 07-06-2010, 02:46 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't comment on the new frame but I had the dilemma of going out for something which my wife would be really comfortable on but not personally wanting a bike with a fairing. But I was doing the "head ruling the heart thing" because I knew I would never use the radio and tunes and it was all about what my wife wanted for the long runs. We looked at some Ultras and they were nice bikes and I was all set for getting one when she saw the King and fell in love with it. Suited me so we put a detachable Tourpak and Sundowner on it and she was happy, then we took the screen off and a put on a speedo/tach combination thing and I was happy.

I feel the key difference is whether you want the tunes or not - I don't so the King does it for me.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:05 PM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Road King is a fine bike. I had one and loved it. I also have a 2010 Ultra Limited that replaced my 2009 Ultra. The handling of the new bike is significantly better than the old one. So, before making the leap, you should ride both and see what you like. I didn't feel the difference on the new bike until I took it into some twisties near my home. The new frame handles very well and is a breeze to use.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:09 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

1. The new frame IS more nimble.

2. Without the fairing, the RK and RG handle easier at low speed.

3. How often do you listen to your radio/cd?

4. Without the tourpak, it will feel a bit less top heavy (make your tourpak detach?)

5. Roadking seat sits a bit lower than Ultras, could have affected your perception.

6. How much of this is because you feel your bike is a lemon?

7. What happened to the Goldwing?

8. Will you be back here complaining about how much its cost you to put back all the things you gave up when you gave up your Ultra?

Quick Reply: Step down form Ultra to RK, mistake?