Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Light Camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Red Light Camera

Most interesting. I had a quick look at the study and it looks good. Little bit counterintuitive to what most of us motorcyclists believe. Wonder which will prevail (in Canada) road safety or $. Now let me guess!

http://www.tgdaily.com/trendwatch-fe...-rates-–-study

Old 07-06-2010, 08:07 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish they were on every traffic light. People running red lights and yellow lights is a pet peeve of mine. I think it is more dangerous than speeding. Wish they would concentrate on that more than setting up speed traps.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

In europe they use both the Red light and speed "safety" cameras. The locals know exactly where the permanent cameras are and obey the law when in those areas. But I see them slow down for the speed camera and then speed up after they pass the camera. So it is debatable on if the cameras increase safety.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:57 AM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It always cracks me up that the government will put on "safety" or other words to describe how they are helping you when it just comes down to how much can they make in fines. Just another revenue producer like "clicket or ticket". Same reason that all highways seem to have different speed limits on them. You get going and suddenly it goes from 65-55 for no real reason then the locals or staties will be waiting to grab you. Highways should be the same speed everywhere except maybe when you get into a downtown vicinity where there are a lot of entrances/exits in close proximity.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 AM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you're seeing with their results is the revelation of ANOTHER problem. They found that crashes increased because of rear-end collisions when people actually STOP at the light and the driver behind them doesn't. So did the camera cause the crash, or did a driver following too closely cause it?

Just for the record I am AGAINST "red light" cameras because there is no need to prove who is actually DRIVING the vehicle. The citation is simply issued to the registered owner of the vehicle.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Certified Drunk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the ones that go from green to red in a blink of an eye.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 221 Posts

It's all about money. Fighting crime costs money, but police departments *make* money issuing citations.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
It's all about money. Fighting crime costs money, but police departments *make* money issuing citations.
It makes the "crime fighters" job easier. They sit at the donut shop while the guy who installs the camera does all the work, or maybe hassle some criminal with loud pipes on his bike.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

6 cities that have been caught shortening yellow light duration to increase revenue from tickets.

http://blog.motorists.org/6-cities-t...es-for-profit/

Because government is corrupt and does not care about safety.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CRASH
What you're seeing with their results is the revelation of ANOTHER problem. They found that crashes increased because of rear-end collisions when people actually STOP at the light and the driver behind them doesn't. So did the camera cause the crash, or did a driver following too closely cause it?

Just for the record I am AGAINST "red light" cameras because there is no need to prove who is actually DRIVING the vehicle. The citation is simply issued to the registered owner of the vehicle.
It doesgo to the registered owner, but if it wasn't you driving, all you gotta do is send it back with a copy of your drivers lic picture and it will be dismissed.

Quick Reply: Red Light Camera