Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low speed drive train "rubbing" noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010 | 02:40 AM
sgdiesel
|
Road Warrior
Default Low speed drive train "rubbing" noise

2010 Limited

It has just recently developed an irritating noise I hope someone can throw some light on.

It is most noticeable at low speeds but I suspect it is still there at higher speeds but drowned out by wind and bike noise

It sounds like the belt is chaffing on something. It is certainly not a metal on metal sound and it is related to wheel rotation, not engine revs. It is a rubber, low pitch kind of noise, and I would guess it is happening atleast once per wheel rev, possibly twice per rev. Definitely on the back wheel / drive train

I took it to the dealer who rode it in the outside parking area, and I was surprised just how noisy it is. He confirmed it is not wheel alignment and I don't believe it is doing any serious mechanical damage, so he suggested he would have a good look at the 5000 mile service (1000 miles time)

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced it?

Old 07-06-2010 | 06:11 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

The fuel tank vent tube can get out of position and drag on the inside lower part of the drive belt. The vent tube is fairly hard plastic and can make that type of noise. You will need to pull the seat, left side cover and the left saddlebag off to get to it and see where it goes. The vent tube should go behind the swing-arm pivot. If it gets pulled up for some reason, the tube will slip over the swing-arm and get against the drive belt. It happened on my '09 Ultra Classic. I'm not sure that's what your problem is but it's worth looking into.

You will need to find the fuel tank vent tube where it comes out under the back of the fuel tank near several wire harnesses. As you pull up on the vent tube, you will be able to look in the area near the fuse box and the frame and see the vent tube.

Last edited by shortride; 07-06-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-06-2010 | 07:06 AM
oldbiker771
Tourer

Or jack it up and hand spin the tire to check for noise. Spray some silicone on the belt while having your beautiful assistant spin it, see if the noise goes away. I use a dry teflon type belt spray to keep my noise down. Inspect it while you spral, looking for damage. Probly a simple issue.

Old 07-06-2010 | 08:02 AM
sgdiesel
|
Road Warrior

Thanks guys, I will give both these suggestions a go. First I have heard of belt spray, but there is a power transmission guy on our industrial estate so I am sure he can help me with that

Old 07-06-2010 | 08:04 AM
jndr756
Cruiser

my 2010 street glide had a sound similar to what you are describing. I asked the guys in the service dept and they said it was the brake pad rubbing the rotor. i could only hear it when i was barley moving and like you about once every tire rotation.

Old 07-06-2010 | 08:13 AM
sgdiesel
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jndr756
my 2010 street glide had a sound similar to what you are describing. I asked the guys in the service dept and they said it was the brake pad rubbing the rotor. i could only hear it when i was barley moving and like you about once every tire rotation.
mmmm, doesn't sound like rubbing brakes to me but i will take a run and use just fronts and feel the rotor when i get back.

Did the sound disappear after a while?

Old 07-06-2010 | 08:19 AM
wlibert
Road Captain

I have the same noise on my '10 Ultra Classic. I am going to jack it up this weekend and find out what is going on and get it fixed. I have a 5k mile ride to/from Sturgis coming up and I want to make sure there isn't something serious going on.

If it was the vent tube, it would have burned through the tube by now on my bike because I have put about 400 miles on it since I noticed the noise.

Old 07-07-2010 | 09:10 AM
jndr756
Cruiser

Doesn't make the noise everytime I ride but I do hear it occasionally. It usually happens when I get home and just go very slow down my driveway (which is gravel and about 1/2 mile long). Like your problem it comes from the rear of the bike. The service dept. said it the even though the brakes had been released that the pad was still hitting the rotor just enough to make the noise. They said it should cause no damage and would eventually release enough to not hit the rotor.(Or screw my brakes and rotors up). They also said it was common. I'm new to hd but have worked on cars my whole life, I really quizzed the guys in the service dept to try and see if they were blowin smoke, they seemed to be telling me the truth and even brought 2 mechanics out to look at it. I hope this helps you, let me know what it turns out to be.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:32 AM
W0ace
Tourer

I hear my brake pads rub also, same thing. Mainly the front one when under like 15mph. Just touches enough to make a little noise. I figured it out by just touching the brake lever, and it will make it go away. Release, and it comes back usually. Pretty common, I know all my cars do it also, really notice if you drive next to a concrete wall where you can hear it echo off of it.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:34 AM
W0ace
Tourer

Have you found a cause for your noise yet?

Quick Reply: Low speed drive train "rubbing" noise