Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low speed drive train "rubbing" noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 02:25 AM
sgdiesel
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by W0ace
Have you found a cause for your noise yet?
No update at this stage, silkworms time on it over the weekend

Old 07-08-2010 | 03:12 PM
sgdiesel
|
Road Warrior

Update:

I jacked the bike up tonight and turned the wheel - no noise apart from a light rubbing of the pads on the rotor at 1 sector of the rotation, but I know that is not the noise.

I then tried turning the wheel by putting it in gear and spinning the wheel to see if the noise was originating further up the drive train, still no noise.

I did get my hands on some belt dressing as that had been recommended as an option. After googling and further research I became reluctant to use the belt dressing in this case as apparently it leaves a sticky film on the belt that then collects dust. During this research process I came across a number of posts suggesting washing the belt down with warm soapy water, so I figured I would give that a go first as it certainly wouldn't do any harm.

Went for a brief test ride tonight, quiet as anything so hopefully....

I need to ride a bit more to come to a final conclusion

Thanks for all the input so far

Old 07-08-2010 | 03:30 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
Update:

I jacked the bike up tonight and turned the wheel - no noise apart from a light rubbing of the pads on the rotor at 1 sector of the rotation, but I know that is not the noise.

I then tried turning the wheel by putting it in gear and spinning the wheel to see if the noise was originating further up the drive train, still no noise.

I did get my hands on some belt dressing as that had been recommended as an option. After googling and further research I became reluctant to use the belt dressing in this case as apparently it leaves a sticky film on the belt that then collects dust. During this research process I came across a number of posts suggesting washing the belt down with warm soapy water, so I figured I would give that a go first as it certainly wouldn't do any harm.

Went for a brief test ride tonight, quiet as anything so hopefully....

I need to ride a bit more to come to a final conclusion

Thanks for all the input so far
When you jack the bike up, the swing-arm and drive belt are not in the same position as when it's not jacket up. If the fuel tank vent that I had suggested may be the problem was rubbing the drive belt, it may have not been touching the drive belt with it jacked up. Have you found the fuel tank vent tube and looked to see if it is routed behind the swing-arm pivot?

Try pushing the bike backwards without the engine running. If you hear a clicking or anything that sound strange other than the brake pads draging, it may be the fuel tank vent tube. I discovered mine when only puhing the bike backwards and could not hear it going forward because the engine noise covered the sound.

Last edited by shortride; 07-08-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2010 | 03:40 PM
sgdiesel
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bikes
When you jack the bike up, the swing-arm and drive belt are not in the same position as when it's not jacket up. If the fuel tank vent that I had suggested may be the problem was rubbing the drive belt, it may have not been touching the drive belt with it jacked up. Have you found the fuel tank vent tube and looked to see if it is routed behind the swing-arm pivot?

Try pushing the bike backwards without the engine running. If you hear a clicking or anything that sound strange other than the brake pads draging, it may be the fuel tank vent tube. I discovered mine when only puhing the bike backwards and could not hear it going forward because the engine noise covered the sound.
I will give that a go. One thing I am concious of is the fact that bike loading will also have an effect on this hence the reason I am reluctant at this stage to declare it is sorted

Old 07-09-2010 | 12:18 AM
fukngitit
Stage II

i know dunlop has had some issues on the 09-10 touring tires. a friend of mine said he had a rubbing sound coming from the front end of his bike so he took it back to the dealer and they showed a recall on the tire and replaced it for free

Old 07-09-2010 | 04:24 AM
Dagsadoo
Intermediate

I have a 09 softail Heritage Classic and it makes a similar noise. I only started to hear it when I took the bags off. When riding slow it goes away when I apply the brake and accelerate, slowly. So to me sounds like the brake disc. I was suprised with how loud this was when riding.

Old 07-09-2010 | 06:00 AM
harleyman1340
Cruiser

If you hear the noise after the bike gets warmed up chances are the drive belt is too tight. Next time you go for a ride check the deflection of the drive belt and then when you start hearing the noise get off an recheck the drive belt deflection, if it is tight as a banjo string it is too tight. If it is too tight have the dealer loosen the belt, he's going to want to put you off and have you wait till the 5000 mile service, don't wait have him do it now. I don't know if it will cause any damage by being too tight when hot, but the noise is irritating as hell.

Old 07-09-2010 | 06:46 AM
bigredwing
Advanced

Same issue on my '10 SG w/ABS;3000 miles. I have only heard it after a ride of 45 min or more (just a guess) while rolling into the garage and everything warmed is up. Definitely coming from the rear of the bike. I lifted it, pulled the bags and did a pretty thorough inspection. Nothing loose or showing signs of rubbing or chaffing. No noise when rotating the rear or front tires. A knowledgable associate of mine said that there was a brake pad/caliper change made recently by Harley and they don't "float" like they use to. Could be the source of the noise since quite few folks are reporting it. Hopefully more annoying than anything else.

Old 04-21-2011 | 03:55 PM
O'Grady
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
2010 Limited

It has just recently developed an irritating noise I hope someone can throw some light on.

It is most noticeable at low speeds but I suspect it is still there at higher speeds but drowned out by wind and bike noise

It sounds like the belt is chaffing on something. It is certainly not a metal on metal sound and it is related to wheel rotation, not engine revs. It is a rubber, low pitch kind of noise, and I would guess it is happening atleast once per wheel rev, possibly twice per rev. Definitely on the back wheel / drive train

I took it to the dealer who rode it in the outside parking area, and I was surprised just how noisy it is. He confirmed it is not wheel alignment and I don't believe it is doing any serious mechanical damage, so he suggested he would have a good look at the 5000 mile service (1000 miles time)

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced it?
Hey!
Just joined solely to know what happened with the noise. I have a 2010 RG and it does the same thing. To me, the drain-tube noise sounds about right.

Let me know, when you have a minute.

Thanks!
Pat

Old 05-20-2011 | 08:06 PM
driver
6th Gear

Any one figure this out? I have a 2011 Street Glide with 2,200 miles that just started to make the same noise. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Low speed drive train "rubbing" noise