Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering an '09 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Trailering an '09 Ultra

Ok, I've been through all the trailering threads and can't find the answer I need. I'm looking for an all-around, open trailer that I can use to haul my 09 Ultra to the dealership or accross country safely and securely. Ideally, I'd like to have a motorcycle-specific trailer that could also be used to haul my 42" zero turn mower in for repairs and for other small hauling jobs. Needs to be easily loaded by one person and substantial enough for the long haul. I'm not handy/confident enough to just slap a wheel chock on a 6 X 10 landscape utility trailer and head out cross country, although I know some have had good luck doing exactly that. I've looked at Baxley and Razor trailers and I like the ground-loading feature vs. the ramp load trailers since I will be loading without help. Seems like the trailers I like are all manufactured far away from Ohio, so picking them up is difficult and shipping costs put them way out of my price range. Anybody know where I can find the perfect open trailer that doesn't cost an arm and two legs and is reasonably close to Ohio for easy pickup? And can anyone tell me for sure whether an Ultra will fit on an 8 ft. trailer?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:41 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had two baggers on a 5 X 10 utility trailer for about 3000 miles with no issues. Took a little doing to get all tied down and secure, loading was easy with the built in ramp.

One bagger would have been too easy,

http://www.bigtextrailers.com/pdf/30sa.pdf

http://www.bigtextrailers.com/#

Big TEX 30SA with upgrade on the tires

Note, that was a one time deal 1500 up and 1500 back.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 PM
fladawg01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailers

Try Northern Tool, Lowes, Home Depot as well. They all sell trailers.

I have one from Tractor Supply (if you have those in Ohio) I paid $400 for it brand new 5 years ago. Today it sells for $580.

Mounting a Wheel chock takes about 1/2 hour, a drill and some good 3/8 or 1/2 inch bolts. Harbor Freight sells wheel chocks Part # 97841 that are pretty decent for $39 to $59 bucks. Some good tie down straps rated at 1000 lbs working load and you should be fine.

Tie down the front end with two ties and the rear the same. 2 attached to frame or on the front motor guard, on each side and 2 attached to the rear frame/swingarm to prevent the rear from bouncing, again 1 on each side.

Last edited by fladawg01; 07-05-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:02 PM
primdl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had one of these for about 4 years now, worth every penny. They will arrange to have them delivered, or make your own arrangements. If you want one person loading, there is nothing better. http://www.adventuresportsproducts.com/

Old 07-06-2010, 01:12 AM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by primdl
I have had one of these for about 4 years now, worth every penny. They will arrange to have them delivered, or make your own arrangements. If you want one person loading, there is nothing better. http://www.adventuresportsproducts.com/
That's a real slick set up, seems like it'd be the perfect trailer.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:42 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

As bdp suggested, a 6x10 trailer would be adequate for the job. I've used a 1' long piece of channel fastened to the deck of a trailer for the front tire. There are lots of trailer manufacturers around here to choose from. A trailer for that kind of job will cost around $600 or less here. If you are going to use it exclusively for hauling the scoot, get a trailer with a ramp style tailgate with tie-downs on each corner.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

The 5x10 trailer that I speak of was $1200 new a few years ago

Old 07-06-2010, 07:24 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bdp
The 5x10 trailer that I speak of was $1200 new a few years ago
I bought a new 5x16 for less than $700 2 years ago. You may be talking about a heavy duty tandem axle trailer with larger tires.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:36 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have some bucks an enclosed trailer makes more sense to me.When not trailering my trike is safe and snug out of the weather and does not take up all the garage room.I would get the Harbor Freight ride on chock,it is adjustable and keeps the bike stable and upright while traveling.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Let me give ya my tip on the securing of your bike that I always pass on. When I trailer, I use two seperate sets of soft straps and two sets of straps fastened to 4 tie down points just for the front end. Overkill? Maybe, but one of those babies let loose while trailering and you'll wish you had double straps up front.

Quick Reply: Trailering an '09 Ultra